JackBarba

Seal Black Tandy Strap - stop the bleeding

Hi everyone! Long time lurker, first time poster (or so I thought -- apparently 7 total posts) :)

I was asked to make a black belt, and bought a black veg tan strap from Tandy. I rubbed some dubbin on it (mink oil/beeswax mixture) and the black still rubs off a bit. Can I apply Tan Kote on top of the dubbin? Thank you in advance!

Jack

Edited by JackBarba

The first thing you want to do is lay the belt down flat on a table, . . . roll up your sleeves, . . . grab a white or light colored wash cloth that your wife will not miss out of the cupboard, . . .

And buff the belt like you are trying to erase the blackness off the leather, . . . be serious, . . . be personal, . . . and be rough about it.  

A half hour later, when you have worked up a minor sweat, . . . your wrists and forearms are telling you that they've exercised enough today, . . . AND no more black is coming off the belt, . . . then you're good to go.

Give it a couple of light coats of resolene, . . . mixed 50/50 with tap water, . . .let it dry, . . . you should be good to go.

My belts and holsters I sell are 99% done with resolene/water, . . . and I get zero complaints.

May God bless,

Dwight

My 2 cents is probably worth 3 cents, but I will share my finds. I have used all blacks available, and vinegaroon. I have settled on Angelus Jet Black, after applying and drying, I go over with a coat of Fiebing's Show Brown. After drying I buff, and the brown seems to lock in the black more. I find less buffing is required. Apply the sealer of your choosing. Once sealed it is very hard to tell the brown is even there. Try it out on scrap, and see what you think.

Edited by Bodean