sulla

Got 2 new free Singer sewing machines, your advice sought.

My sister-in-law picked these up at a flea market sale and gave them to me.  Anyone know if either will sew leather if I get them running?  I was told that one of them runs but the other needs work.  Not sure which as I got them late last night and haven't had the time to plug them in.  Alas, neither has a walking foot.

I most often make shoes and commonly work with 5-8 oz chrome tan bull hide (often skived to 1/2 thickness for seams) usually bonded together with Renia aquilum or Renia all purpose cement or sometimes barge.  I also use 2-3 oz. veg tan leather used as toe and other reinforcing pieces in shoes..

Singer one.jpg

Here is the second one.

Singer two.jpg

I make shoes like these among other things.  The ones I made out of this line-up are the pair second from the left, the brown and burgundy with the black soles..

shoes.jpg

The one with the serial number shown is a model 99k.  I have one identical to it.  Mine sews multiple layers of 2-3 oz. leather with no issues.

Thank you for the information rejerome.  I went looking after I posted this and found out that this is indeed the 99K.  even found a manual to download.  Here's hoping this is the one that has all it's parts and still runs.

These machines are really simple and parts are freely available.

Good luck.

The top, larger machine is either a Singer 15 of a Japanese made 15 clone.  I don't see the Singer badge so I'm thinking clone.  Both machines are for domestic use.  They can sew garment weight leather but I wouldn't give either one a steady diet of heavier stuff.  They're really not made for heavier weights of leather though both are better made than most modern domestic machines.  I'm not sure how heavy of thread they can handle.  My sewing with them has been with standard household thread.

Both use easily available needles (15x1, standard for most newer domestic machines)  I think up to size 20. The top machine uses class 15 bobbins, the 99 uses class 66 bobbins.

Rodney

I forgot to add:  Sew-Classic.com is favored by the vintage sewing machine crowd for parts.  It pays to buy better quality bobbins, etc instead of the big box store stuff.

Rodney

the first one is ja or ha 15 clone of a singer 15 most of the clones were built better than USA if it says "made in occupied japan" there's a little value in those

Both the 99 and 15 use standard domestic 15x needles, which are readily available. The 15 uses the very common 15 type domestic bobbins (which I have even found in the supermarket), whereas the 99 uses a 66 type bobbin which are available through eBay and machine dealers. Both use a simple drop feed so the underside of your work may get marked, but this isn't the end of the world.

I have a 99k which I occasionally use to sew the bottom of wallet pockets with v69/tkt40 thread. The machine is theoretically able to go a little thicker but the main restriction is the size of needle. 15x needles for leather are usually only available up to size 110, which restricts me to tkt40 thread. I have found some larger needles but don't want to stress a domestic machine any further, especially when I have industrial machines better suited to heavier jobs.

These machines are commonly available and not expensive, so you could consider them expendable -- use them up and when they wear out use the money you make from their use to buy a real industrial machine.

Thanks all.  I was able to sew linen and some heavy canvas with the 99K with a 110 needle and some Coats "Extra Strong" Upholstery thread.  Haven't tried leather yet. 

The other machine is definitely a clone.  It was made in Japan.  I don't think it says occupied Japan, but I will look again when I get home.