desertwastes

stamping logo on leather

Hi gang, 

I'm wanting to create a fairly basic 2D logo. I'm looking for tips on ways that are the most cost effective but will still mark the leather permanently. 

Stamping? Cutting? Burning?

I have been looking into customized 2D stamps, but they are quite pricey.  Though I'm sure they are a good future investment, I'm wondering if there is an alternative.

This stock photo is similar to the design I will be making, with a small crescent moon. 

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2017-05-04 at 9.49.37 PM.png

For that, . . . it would depend upon the size, . . . whether this is 1 inch long or 6 inches long, . . . 

For discussion sake, . . . say it is 3 inches long.

I would go to Lowes and buy a couple feet of 12/3 or 12/4 Romex cable.  You want solid copper wire, . . . not stranded.  Using needle nosed pliers I would then bend the wire to match the shape of the scorpion.  

(You need to strip the plastic covering off the wire)

It can be spot soldered together, . . . then spot soldered onto a piece of galvanized sheet metal.

The sheet metal I would then contact cement to a nice looking 3/4 inch thick pine board.

You could then dampen your leather, . . . place this stamping tool on the leather, . . . and roll it with a rolling pin or even probably a wall paper seam roller, . . . it will give you a nice impression.

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

49 minutes ago, Dwight said:

For that, . . . it would depend upon the size, . . . whether this is 1 inch long or 6 inches long, . . . 

Thanks for the reply Dwight! 

It would need to be relatively small so I could fit it on items like knife sheaths and wallets. Likely about an inch. Would this process still work for that size? 

Hannah

Edited by desertwastes
typo

Wow, Dwight.  That is a great idea.  I will have to keep that in mind for other things.  Instead of 12 AWG wire, try 14 if your are going to make it that small. 

Definitely, yes, . . . just a bit more intricate, . . . probably have to do it under a magnifying glass, . . . 

The big key is to make the exact shape you want on the computer first, . . . print it out, . . . use it for the template / pattern.

Again, . . . solder the connections, . . . file and sand the solder joints smooth, . . . should work really well for you.

May God bless,

Dwight

I am by no means a professional, nor an expert, but I had a similar question I was asking awhile back and the information I got was that basically anything that is harder than the leather can make a mark. I played with several ideas for my mark and so it would have been very costly for me if I went gung ho and spent money on one of my earlier designs. 

I went down to my local art store and bought a "wooden people" doll thing from their wood craft aisle. I cut off the spherical head part and just carved my logo in the bottom. I also have a square one that I carved out of a square wood block. It seems to me like it works. I use my arbor press to stamp in my mark. 

I have a belt that I wear a few times a week for the past... I think two years and the mark is still clearly visible. I think if you put it in a location that won't see much wear and tear that it will do just fine. The picture is of my EDC wallet. 

Ignore the black dye.... I had a clumsy moment and spilled half a bottle of my precious dye :(

Maker's Mark.jpg

Edited by Chief Filipino

I've been getting stamps cut by a dealer in Hong Kong [cos there is absolutetly no-one in my area at all that can do this]. He cuts the design on brass, so it can be used for stamping or with a pyrogravure/soldering iron it can be used for burning in. His work is able to copy the finest of lines.  A 1 inch stamp costs about $23 and I get it about 7 to 10 days after ordering & paying.

34 minutes ago, fredk said:

I've been getting stamps cut by a dealer in Hong Kong [cos there is absolutetly no-one in my area at all that can do this]. He cuts the design on brass, so it can be used for stamping or with a pyrogravure/soldering iron it can be used for burning in. His work is able to copy the finest of lines.  A 1 inch stamp costs about $23 and I get it about 7 to 10 days after ordering & paying.

I believe I used this same group.  Very happy with it and it has nice fine detail.

Please, If you don't mind ?    Post the name and address for many of us here to use, and or inquire.

Don't think it infriges on anything.  Thanx a million __________ Wild Bill

2 hours ago, fredk said:

I use this one mostly;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351557320132?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=620582510649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

and I've used this person too

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Custom-Seal-Stamp-Logo-Leather-Carving-Tool-Foil-Embossing-Stamping-Machine-Mold-/131849677396?var=&hash=item1eb2da6a54:m:m8JF0-uDByLiJGhePKo_gVw

not much to choose between prices, service times or quality; both I find very excellent

A couple of weeks ago I got a 50mm [2 inch] wide stamp made; cost me £24.86 [about $30], taking the day I paid as day one the stamp arrived in the mail on day 10

Thank you so much for such a quik reply FredK, will keep this in mind and reference. 

I also hope, it might help others along the way.

Again Thank You ______  Wild Bill

Well, I was hoping that ordering domestic would be of a benefit, it wasn't.

$110.00 (stainless stamp with peg for my press) and three and a half weeks, I have yet to see my stamp.

Hopefully he will come thru. He has a high rating and good reviews on Etsy.

Sheesh.....

I would prefer to give my money to a local worker; but when there isn't one I have to buy from abroad

4 hours ago, fredk said:

I would prefer to give my money to a local worker; but when there isn't one I have to buy from abroad

I have bought many things from Wuta. I like their products just fine.

I have no problems with buying things from over seas. I just thought with exchanging instructions and data a language barrier may hamper the process. 

Hopefully, this guy will get it together. It's still a little early for internet flaming of a small business.

On 5/4/2017 at 10:17 PM, desertwastes said:

Thanks for the reply Dwight! 

It would need to be relatively small so I could fit it on items like knife sheaths and wallets. Likely about an inch. Would this process still work for that size? 

Hannah

Well, . . . I went out to the shop, . . . and I just could not get the wire to bend like I really wanted it to do.  If the scorpion were 2, 2 1/2, or 3 inches long, . . . it would work really well I think.

You can unbend a small paper clip, . . . put it on a dampened piece of veggie tan, . . . put it under the arbor press, . . . you'll see it makes a really nice impression.

My 72 year old eyes and fingers just are not quite up to bending that wire in that intricate a pattern for the 1 inch size.

I'd probably opt for one of the Hong Kong options, . . . sure looks like the right price to me.

May God bless,

Dwight

2 hours ago, Dwight said:

Well, . . . I went out to the shop, . . . and I just could not get the wire to bend like I really wanted it to do.

Thank you so much for trying that out for me Dwight! I really appreciate you taking the time to do that. I will keep it in mind for larger pieces, it sounds like a great option. 

If I lived in the US I'd buy US, but I'm not there so I buy where I can get things from.

By the way I have bought supplies from the US too - cos suppliers there had what I wanted,

A couple of points which stop me from buying more; 1: import taxes in my country 2: the sellers, either will not sell to over-seas or simply do not answer inquiries 

Edited by fredk

Solid electrical wire is hard drawn, and will be much easier to work if you anneal it first. Brass wire, too.

1 question no one has asked and to me is important to know, what kind of leather are you putting your mark on? If it's chrome tanned, wetting and pressing is not going to work well so you are going to need something solid like what N-Studio does on aluminum so it can be heated. If it's veg tanned, you can get someone like DZ Tech in the Valley to make you a stamp on a 3D printer and will probably cost less then the gas to come to the valley to get it.

On 5/7/2017 at 11:49 AM, 480volt said:

Solid electrical wire is hard drawn, and will be much easier to work if you anneal it first. Brass wire, too.

Why the picture of the rusty steel cable?

6 hours ago, cjartist said:

Why the picture of the rusty steel cable?

That's the rode hard, put away wet, Koenig PTO winch on my Powerwagon, just the way I got it from the PO. Nothing to do with leather, I just appreciate old, unkillable equipment (as long as you don't replace the shear pin with a bolt).

I am usually the first person that says "if I can make it or fix it by myself I will" but .. I have several logo stamps from Studio N who is a member here and the price was so cheap it would have cost me three times as much in time to cobble something together that works half as well. I believe they were under $30 and he was great to work with.

http://www.lasered-stamps.com/

His are made to be struck using a hefty handle or pressed in a press. I thought they were a bargain

Templar%20back.jpg?m=1467829989

Halitech is right though .. this will only work well on Veg tan. Anything else and I would look at brands and yea .. I want one but they are pricey.

Edited by Boriqua

I contacted Metal Magic and asked if there would be any problem shipping overseas and was assured there is NO problem.

There will be an import tax I guess :blink: call your Congress or something..? ('But then who will build mah'roads!?')

Their preference would be to setup the account as a wire pay or CC and shipment on your FedEX or UPS account.

Contact Mark at 800-851-4120 if you need to speak with someone.

Metal Magic is an award winning die producer; I found the prices quite reasonable, production astoundingly fast, and product quality superb. Ship it overnight if it's needed like that.

B) You eat soft rice. I'd be interested to know how much you all pay to consistently have $23 dies shipped into the USA from Hong Kong in a week or so... :rofl:

About Metal Magic:
...In 2001 the company created a CNC department and introduced one of the industries first computer driven milling machines for engraving dies. The investment in technology was so successful, a year later Metal Magic created an entire brass engraving department with multiple CNC machines and hand engravers.

#boss #engraver

A few points

1. No 'congress' in my country; HMRC set the import tax rate.

2. A recent order for $25 from the US cost me $24 in taxes = $49

3. The $23 stamps from Hong Kong cost just that - no delivery or taxes added

4. As a private user I cannot set up either a Fedex [who do not deliver in my country anyways] or UPS contract in my country - their rules

5. My bank does not do 'wire' transfers

6. I have to jump thru hoops to use my CC in direct sales in the US, but not in Europe or via paypal - hoops include posting to the seller a signed written order before the CC will recognise and accept it - that takes 5 to 7 days.

7. The order mentioned in #2 came into my country 2 days after ordering it, it then sat for 14 days whilst it cleared customs; meanwhile the order from Hong Kong dropped thru my door's letter box.