Hi All

A customer has asked me to make a John Wayne suede out money belt, having not made one before I thought I would ask all you kind people. What thickness and what kind of leather should I use, do you soak it first then fold in half and let dry, would you oil the suede side as you would a normal belt, and is there any other thing I should look into before I start making. Thank you all in advance.

Regards Forester

The El Dorado pattern Pac has it included. Didn't you make one already minus the money belt? Will Ghormley pattern is one I used. Didn't make the money belt part. It just says a Premium sueded split side in sand color on mine.

I make it with the suede folded, . . . best side out,

It is a fun one to make in my opinion.

I only leave the money belt part of it open far enough to get in a folded confederate bill, . . . the rest is not only sewn, but also contact cemented together.

This is the last one I did.

And, . . . no, I didn't oil the suede, . . . just a light coat of Resolene 50/50 with water, . . . my customer and I both really liked the end result.

May God bless,

Dwight

duke rig money belt.jpg

duke rig small.jpg

Dwight what are the snaps beside the keeper for?

And I assume you mean that you leave enough length from the "mouth" of the money pouch for the bills and then the rest of the belt length is glued full width. correct?

Yes, . . . you are correct that the mouth of the belt is only deep enough for the bills to go back in and be secure.

The snaps hold the buckle tab, . . . it folds back under the bottom of the buckle, . . . threads down through both layers, . . . doubles back under the belt keeper, . . . and snaps.  

I tried it, . . . and using that arrangement, I could even put larger coins in the money part of it, . . . and they would not come out.  

I don't know what happened to the pictures, . . . so I'll post it again so you can see it.  I don't have the belt here, or I'd get a better pic of it, . . . long ago went to it's new owner.

May God bless,

Dwight

duke rig money belt.jpg

Ok that all makes sense Dwight thanks.

Thanks Dwight

Some good information there, just what I needed. I would never have thought of gluing the entire length apart from the money section. Doing it that way I imagine makes it easier to sew up. Still a bit confused how you attach the belt keeper though.

Regards Forester

I'm not the worlds best artist, . . . but here's a little drawing that may clear up some of the mud.

May God bless,

Dwight

money belt end.JPG

Dwight

Thanks for the time and effort you put into the drawings, I now fully understand.

All the best Forester

Yes Dwight that makes it very clear.... don't knock your  artistic side!

question I have is.... in a period correct model would they would have had  dome snaps? so what would the fastening method have been? mind you I am not sure what period a money belt gun belt is from and perhaps they had snaps?

6 hours ago, plinkercases said:

Yes Dwight that makes it very clear.... don't knock your  artistic side!

question I have is.... in a period correct model would they would have had  dome snaps? so what would the fastening method have been? mind you I am not sure what period a money belt gun belt is from and perhaps they had snaps?

Honestly, I don't know plinkercases, . . . snaps are probably not "period correct", . . . but then again, not much more than the leather is, . . . and even it has undergone many changes in the way it is created / finished, etc.

I tend to go by the overall look, . . . Western?, . . . OK, . . . and I kind of drop it there.

But that's just me, . . . and how I approach this stuff.

May God bless,

Dwight

Yah not trying to be critical just curious thanks. I have on of these on my wish build list but don't even seem to get to the bench at all these days between obligations and commitments. It is a relaxing "jobby" for me (hobby that maybe sort of almost pays fro itself!). Perhaps this summer I can take a try at one and let you pass on some tips.

Those pictures were the last one I did, . . . and it was indeed fun.  

If I had to choose making them or a regular Duke rig, . . . the money belt is probably a bit easier to do, . . . and because it is a bit "different" folks will pay a bit more for it than a normal Duke rig.

May God bless,

Dwight

Hi All

It took me while but this is the version of John Wayne's Suede Belt gun rig i am happy with, belt is made from sand coloured premium suede split with a 3-4 oz veg tan inner core to give it a bit of rigidity. Holsters are made from 6-7 oz veg tan leather, back to back, both sized for a colt with a 4 and 3/4 inch barrel. Hope you like.

Regards Forester

DSCF7784_opt.jpg

DSCF7785_opt.jpg

DSCF7786_opt.jpg

DSCF7788_opt.jpg

DSCF7789_opt.jpg

DSCF7794_opt.jpg

DSCF7797_opt.jpg

Good looking work, . . . but then again, . . . if the Duke is in it, . . . it's gonna be good.

You did a real good job, . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

Great job as always.

An odd question, but, where can I find reproduction paper money from the period? I can find reproduction double eagles, but no paper money.

2 hours ago, Lizardo said:

An odd question, but, where can I find reproduction paper money from the period? I can find reproduction double eagles, but no paper money.

Not odd at all, . . . I had the same question, . . . couldn't find decent answers, . . . so I googled up images of the stuff, . . . printed my own.

Since it will never be used in commerce, . . . and is not "official" government currency, . . . it worked out.

Bump up above in this thread and you can see some of the stuff I had.

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

1 hour ago, Lizardo said:

Thanks, I did that, just didn't know the correct sizes. Great for staged photos. Love the belt.

Thanks, Lizardo, for the good words.  As for the money, I just made it all the basic size of modern currency.  I know that there were other sizes in the past, . . . some even ridiculous, . . . but most modernistas would look at it with a frown on their face, . . . so I just bent to peer pressure, . . . it works.

May God bless,

Dwight