Hi all,

My name is Gerard and I'm from Co. Offaly in Ireland. I've been leather crafting for a short time and only came across this site today.

Looks great and i will be very busy looking through all the information here over the next few weeks. I don't have a lot to add at the moment except a small YouTube video i recorded for a few friends and family to look at, but i might as well add it here too. I will be adding another short video on YouTube shortly where my mother gave me some thread and wax my father had used more than 50 years ago. We'll see how it turns out...

Welcome aboard!

By "a short time" surely you mean a year or two, judging by all those tools in the background and your sure hand with the sharp tools! ;-)
But welcome to the forum!  There is so much information here from all kinds of friendly folks who have a passion for leather. 
Those handmade pens -- they are also your work?

Hi DJole,

you have a lovely selection of leather work there.

I have had an interest in leather since my childhood and throughout the years I've picked up tools thinking I'd use them someday... Truth is i only got around to actually making any product this year. I have been a flooring contractor for nearly 40 years now and I'm used to using sharp tools everyday. The pic below is a church I installed a couple of years ago, most floors are just a plain colours but here i had an opportunity to put a few colours together. Cheers.

IMG_0167.JPG

Thanks Bikermutt07.

DJole,

The pens are made by my brother "Michael" and that was the reason for the pen case. He made an Irish bog oak pen (the wood is around three to six thousand years old) for me and a clutch pencil with 5.6mm lead, I should use them but they're so nice I keep them safe.

Welcome! I would love to see your brother's work in addition to your nice pen case. 

On 5/6/2017 at 2:59 AM, KingsCountyLeather said:

Hi DJole,

you have a lovely selection of leather work there.

I have had an interest in leather since my childhood and throughout the years I've picked up tools thinking I'd use them someday... Truth is i only got around to actually making any product this year. I have been a flooring contractor for nearly 40 years now and I'm used to using sharp tools everyday. The pic below is a church I installed a couple of years ago, most floors are just a plain colours but here i had an opportunity to put a few colours together. Cheers.

IMG_0167.JPG

*whistles in admiration*

That is some lovely floor work there. The only flooring I have ever done is install tongue-and-groove flooring in my living room, and that of course is nothing like this!
Those bog-oak pens are gorgeous. I love beautiful wood, and beautiful woodwork as well. I can well understand why you'd want a beautiful case for them. 
Good materials and craftsmanship are a delight to the touch and the eye.

Oh.. Hahaha I've been using contact cement too much and stayed up way too late... I didn't realize that was a video lol... so ignore my earlier comment about the pens. Nice work :)

Nicee work. Nice floors...impressive job! 

Thank you and welcome to the forum.

I only started leather work this year so if you need any help just ask.

Welcome KingsCounty. Good to have another Irish leather worker on board

7 hours ago, istaunton said:

Welcome KingsCounty. Good to have another Irish leather worker on board

Thank you.

Where are you located?

looked at your shop, nice work.

Ger.

Based in Dublin. But its very much a hobby for me.

Will be a long long way to go before it would pay me to it full time. BUt I admire your desire to do so

And that is all it will probably ever be... a desire! Lol.

I don’t seem to ever have enough time to spare, but I do enjoy working with the leather when I can.

What do you do for your daytime work?