Kermode Custom Leather

Help choosing first machine

Hi everyone, I was hoping to get some advice on my first machine.  I've been at this for the past 2 years and I can no longer keep up with all the hand stitching lol.  So I'm looking to get a couple sewing machines for different work, but just starting with the one for now Because I can't really afford two at the moment.  I figured I'd start with something for my light to medium stuff like bags/purses/wallets etc and then later on get one of the 441 style ones for the heavy stuff.  

I make a wide range of things and with wallets and saddlebags, belts, book covers etc I use veg tanned 4-5oz - 7-9oz with a lot of tooling.   For purses and clutches etc it's usually 4-5oz chrome tanned and Kodiak type stuff.  So at most it'd be about 3 layers of those.

I Was told the 441 type machines have more trouble with the smaller things looking really clean, so I figured I'd get one for the smaller stuff like the purses and bags, and then eventually get the big one for the rest.  But again, I don't know anything about sewing machines lol.  Should I just save up and get the big machine?  

Right now I'm hand stitching everything with the braided chord from tandy and i like the look of that thick thread.  

I was looking at a couple so far:

The techsew 2700, 2750

The titan 650

Oh, I'm in Alberta too if that makes a difference.  

Sorry for the long post, just trying to give as much info as possible lol.  Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Nathan.

Oh, my budget for this one would be 1000 to around 2000, but if it'd be better to just get one machine I can save up.  

Budget is relatively flexible, I really want to get the perfect machine(s) for what I make, so I can save if needed lol.  As long as it's doesn't get too crazy expensive

For this I am planning on the consew 206rb-5. If you are needing the cylinder arm more something like the cowboy 277r or the newer 341 will be great. Techsew is in Canada and an advertiser here. They have comparable machines to the cowboys listed and I believe they carry the consew line.

One thing that was revealed to me awhile back by Wiz was.....

It is hard to bury a large thread in a thin item with a machine. Since they produce a lock stitch the thread cross and comes back. Making the stitch roughly double the thickness of the thread.

We don't run into this problem with the saddle stitch.

Take all this with a grain of salt. I don't own a machine but I have done my research already.

Good luck.

5 hours ago, Kermode Custom Leather said:

I was looking at a couple so far:

The techsew 2700, 2750

The titan 650

Oh, I'm in Alberta too if that makes a difference.  

Thanks, Nathan.

Techsew ships here, had mine dropped off on the curb in Calgary, unpacked the pieces from the pallet, bought them in and had it running within 2 hours.  I see from your IP address you are in Edmonton.

The 2700 series, max bobbin thread is 138.  I have run 207 on the top.  Note max leather thickness is 3/8". Get it with a speed reducer pulley set.

Cylinder arm is great and you can build or buy a table to use it as a flat bed.  Phone Ron and talk with him.

Tom

I can't comment on the Techsew 2700's because I have a Techsew 3800 for over a year now, and had another model before that. I can say that you won't regret getting a machine from them. Service from them is great and Ron and the others know their stuff. And I'm lucky enough to only live 2 hours from their shop and can drop in once or twice a year to drool over the stock!

There is a Cobra re-seller at Longview, about an hour south of Calgary off highway 22 that you might be interested in.  See their FB  https://www.facebook.com/longviewleather/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED&fref=nf or their website http://www.longviewleather.com/

There is another company SE of Edmonton at Delburne that sells industrial leather sewing machines. http://www.leightons.ca/index.html

Both these companies are within driving distance if you want to see and try out their machines before you purchase.

Tom

Just a comment from my experience. When I was looking for my machine Leightons  price was twice what it cost me to by and ship my machine from Toledo ( Cowboy  4500 ) and I got all the optional plates feet etc. included. So you might also better check Techsew and Toledo at top of page.  Was talking to somebody recently that said they know Leighton and was told they are out of business.

On 5/7/2017 at 8:34 AM, daveottawa said:

I can't comment on the Techsew 2700's because I have a Techsew 3800 for over a year now, and had another model before that. I can say that you won't regret getting a machine from them. Service from them is great and Ron and the others know their stuff. And I'm lucky enough to only live 2 hours from their shop and can drop in once or twice a year to drool over the stock!

thanks Dave, hope all is well buddy ! come visit soon.

Ron

have 2 techsew machines..awesome5580RF and awesomer 2750pro...Ron and Mike will take care of you with customer service

BUY THE SELLER!!!

good luck