Sporq

Hand cramping while tooling? I've got a simple solution!

So after a few ideas and some thinking, I've finally come up for a solution to my hand cramping when I'm tooling, especially beveling. Just put a small preferably round or cylindrical object under your ring finger, and wrap the finger around it while tooling. It supports the hand and, at least for me, prevents it from cramping or falling asleep.IMG_20170506_142511_zpsh8ipenba.jpg

Notice the piece is not quite at the base of the finger in the picture. This is the proper placement of whatever object you're using.

IMG_20170506_142519_zpsrzwuegfv.jpg

Curl your ring finger around your chosen object.

IMG_20170506_142526_zpsyg7hpcux.jpg

IMG_20170506_142550_zpsjh50ffkg.jpg

Though you can't really see it, the piece is still in my hand in this picture. It also doesn't get in the way of anything I'm doing.

I hope this helps out! Give it a try. Let me know what you think.

I've got a couple of ideas for improvement already, one is to use a bead with an elastic loop around my finger. The other is a design for a fingerless support glove with a leather band across the area I've been holding the object to keep my hand from fully closing like it does without holding something there.

You have a very fix for cramping hands, may not work for everyone. I just tried it  feels good in hand, had to slow way up tooling this afternoon.

Thank you  Rod

Edited by Elliot
spelling

very interesting! i am definitely going to try this!!