NoLifeTilLeather

Leaving veg tan unfinished for camera strap?

I'm making a camera strap for my friend who saw one I made for myself and liked it. She is a minimalist and likes her leather products to abide by the dictum, "let the leather be the leather." 

She's fairly famous and is sent top-of-the-line products to feature in her editorials, etc., and some of those have been high-end leather bags and such. (I only mention this as context to show she has a well-informed opinion of what she likes, and though I'm not doing this in order to be featured or promoted in her work, I do want to give her the best I can do, since she's an old friend and I know she has high standards.)

She prefers the aesthetic and tactility of unfinished veg tan leather, but I've never given someone something without a finish of some sort, and I'm worried that since it's a strap, and she uses a camera constantly for her work as she travels 11 out of 12 months in the year, that heavy use might take its toll more quickly than if her strap did have some sort of treatment applied to it. 

Maybe it would be a negligible difference. I just don't want to give her something that forsakes utility over aesthetics. 

So, is leaving it unfinished a terrible idea? And if so, is there some finish that best retains the color and texture of veg tan? She also likes the way it looks and feels to have veg tan take on the patina of use over time, so I don't want to deny her that either. 

I'm mostly concerned that it might affect the structural integrity of the strap, especially when it has a several-thousand-dollar piece of equipment on the other end, though it's only just under 2.5 lbs. 

I would treat the leather with a pure neatsfoot oil or Montana Pitch Blend Oil, or maybe Belvior Leather Balm..if you don't treat the leather it will become dry, crack and possibly split while she is carrying her camera. Only use light coats of oil, too much will overly darken the leather.

In my experience Belvior darkens the least of the items I have mentioned. 

This is just my opinion...I'm sure others will have other ideas.

Troy

I agree about oiling.  You'll also want to use leather that has a really good flesh side .. No fuzzies.  You might also try a finish like Findings tan more or bag coat, Aussie, carnauba cream, or a beeswax/neetsfoot compound.  They are all light to no color change and leave slightly different finishes.  You could also do up some small samples of each and ask her which she likes best.

Bill

I'm sorry, I meant to reply to this earlier. Thanks to you both for your insight! I went with the pure neatsfoot oil, and it really turned out well, I think. Hopefully it'll please my friend as well. 

Thanks again!

I realize this is maybe too late, but I had heard that resolene has some UV protection that will help the leather retain it's color over time.  I have made some natural colored straps, and I have used small amounts of neetsfoot, followed by small amounts of Aussie conditioner, then a light coat of 50/50 resolene/water.  The leather had a very nice feel, decent flexibility, and some protection from the elements after that.  I had someone request a belt in natural leather, I will do the same process and hope for the best!

Let us know how it works out for your friend!

YinTx

I read somewhere leather is like your skin and needs proper care. There is nothing wrong with treating it with a natural product.

59 minutes ago, ContactCement said:

I read somewhere leather is like your skin and needs proper care. There is nothing wrong with treating it with a natural product.

It's exactly like our skin. Only difference is only PETA complains when a cow is killed and has their skin used to make something we need ;)

1 hour ago, ContactCement said:

It puts the lotion on its skin!