kbdb

Biothane

I'm attempting to do a project with beta-Biothane and I can't find a successful way to punch holes. The Biothane is 5/8" thick and a typical revolving leather punch isn't working. I tried using and electric drill but it doesn't make very clean holes. Any tips or ideas? Or any tools I need to purchase? 

I am not sure what that material is.  I have a hole punch that is made to go in a drill.  It is shaped, on the business end, much like a hole punch you would strike with a mallet.    It is used in making holes in very heavy rubber conveyor belt and attaching the hinge seam.  I originally got it from applied.  If that sounds like something you might be interested in I can try to remember to take a picture of it this evening to help in your search. 

Edited by Brianm77

Biothane has a nylon webbing core. Easiest way i know to punch holes is to take and heat up something like a nail and push it through. It essentially melts a hole through.

1 hour ago, Tommyboy said:

Biothane has a nylon webbing core. Easiest way i know to punch holes is to take and heat up something like a nail and push it through. It essentially melts a hole through.

I'm thinking of trying that, but I'm wanting to punch holes bigger than the nail. Probably about a 1/4 of an inch in diameter 

you can get nails which are bigger than 1/4" diameter

I was thinking about buckle sized holes. For larger holes you'll need a hollow punch set. Again heat 'em up and push through. Something i didn't mention before, use a piece of scrap to try different temps. Too hot and it makes a charred edge.

So her is the bit I was talking about.  It goes in a drill.  This one I believe is for a 1/4" hole.  I used to use it on some rubber that was about 3/8" or 1/2" thick and reinforced with nylon strands.  It worked nicely.  No heating required.  Pricey though, I believe it was like $28. 

IMG_1523.JPG

Have you tried a forstner bit? They put really clean holes in wood.

That picture above is a bit used to lace rubber belting. Look for them from someone that sales conveyer belts. You should be able to get them 1/4" - 3/8" 

Si, I went into more detail in my first post. I was just pointing out that it sounds like it would work for this application quite well

I make GPS tracking collars out of this material, and I have punched thousands of holes in it. By far, the best way to punch holes is to  chuck a sharp drive punch into a drill or better yet a drill press. If you use a cutting board or similar material as a bottom support, the bit will stay sharp for a very long time. Melting holes in this material will send out some nasty fumes, and you don't want to breathe them. Plus, if you are punching more than a few holes it is very inefficient.  Punching the holes like traditional leather is tedious and dulls punches quickly

Edited by Colt W Knight