Boriqua

stamps as suggestion

Just a couple I thought might inspire some new ideas. While I enjoy using my stamps as intended I dont feel married to the idea of using them as such. They are just stamps and I am always experimenting with stamping with objects in my shed, electrical caps and so on make great impressions, but I also like to see what else I can do with some of my traditional stamps. The first is a basketweave ... kinda wanted it to feel like the old plaster walls with brick showing through that you find in old NYC buildings.

broken%20basket%202.JPG?m=1494354625

broken%20basket%201.JPG?m=1494354627

The second is supposed to represent dragon Flesh. The stamp is pretty awesome when used as a traditional pattern but I had this idea of an old dragon who had been in many a scrap and portions of his scales were hacked away leaving his gnarly flesh exposed. :dunno:

He died while feasting on knight and I acquired his flesh.

dragon%20flesh%201.JPG?m=1494354565

dragon%20flesh%202.JPG?m=1494354558

dragon%20flesh%204.JPG?m=1494354551

Nice outside the box stuff. Makes for a 100% unique piece

You are awesome.

Looks great.

Stu

I really like those I've not seen anything like that before, almost makes me want to try stamping again :)

I really enjoy your stuff. Killer ingenuity!

Fantastic as usual Alex. I wish there was more of a market over this way for holsters (Australian gun laws) as work like yours is always so inspiring.

I like both but the dragon flesh rules.

Rodney

Great work! My experiments never look that good.

On 5/9/2017 at 8:04 PM, rodneywt1180b said:

I like both but the dragon flesh rules.

Rodney

What he said.  That dragon flesh is awesome!  Your dye job on it is perfect for bringing out all of the awesomeness. Beautifully executed.

They both look incredible.

What stamp is that you used for the dragon scales?

On ‎2017‎-‎05‎-‎09 at 2:41 PM, Boriqua said:

Just a couple I thought might inspire some new ideas. While I enjoy using my stamps as intended I dont feel married to the idea of using them as such. They are just stamps and I am always experimenting with stamping with objects in my shed, electrical caps and so on make great impressions, but I also like to see what else I can do with some of my traditional stamps. The first is a basketweave ... kinda wanted it to feel like the old plaster walls with brick showing through that you find in old NYC buildings.

broken%20basket%202.JPG?m=1494354625

broken%20basket%201.JPG?m=1494354627

The second is supposed to represent dragon Flesh. The stamp is pretty awesome when used as a traditional pattern but I had this idea of an old dragon who had been in many a scrap and portions of his scales were hacked away leaving his gnarly flesh exposed. :dunno:

He died while feasting on knight and I acquired his flesh.

dragon%20flesh%201.JPG?m=1494354565

dragon%20flesh%202.JPG?m=1494354558

dragon%20flesh%204.JPG?m=1494354551

You have a unique eye when it comes to stamps and their use.  You "see" what many others don't see and that is one of the things that make a great leather crafter.  These designs are quite beautiful and make the entire job very unique.

Well done, and thank you for showing them.

Bud

r de

Awesome work

Suh................weet!

Nice thinking outside of the box! Would love to see what else you do!

Gorgeous work! I must say, I don't think I have ever seen someone do this with stamps but it's incredible!

Thank you everyone for your kind comments and I hope the pix and the others I post help jostle your imagination!

I really like the dragon skin. That is a very unique look. 

What I am really interested in though, and it's probably pretty simple. One the basket weave one. What did you use to make the rough background. You know, that part that looks like flaking plaster. I have seen that style other places and I love it, something different than the standard background. What tools do you use to achieve that look? 

56 minutes ago, lomfs24 said:

I really like the dragon skin. That is a very unique look. 

What I am really interested in though, and it's probably pretty simple. One the basket weave one. What did you use to make the rough background. You know, that part that looks like flaking plaster. I have seen that style other places and I love it, something different than the standard background. What tools do you use to achieve that look? 

It is a tandy backgrounder I have had for years  E294-03. There are several sizes but that is the large one and should get you on your hunt.

4 hours ago, Boriqua said:

It is a tandy backgrounder I have had for years  E294-03. There are several sizes but that is the large one and should get you on your hunt.

Thanks, looked it up and it's quite affordable for as much as it would get used too! 

Amazing feel for the materials and color! Really is leather art! 

BTW I was in the Tempe Tandy store Saturday..Nice folks..

Bob