YourToolinBuddy

What is this? Just saw this on ebay as a leather tool. Is it?

Its a vintage wallpaper cutter.

My father had a a dozen or more similar to this from the time he was a decorator in the late 1940s/early 1950s

Never seen one of those before.   It would be nice to have sitting on display somewhere.   Or as a pizza cutter.:)

There is an awful lot of crap that shows up on eBay as leather tools that isn't.  Antique dealers buy crap, and when they can't identify it, it gets labelled and put for up for sale as the most expensive option they can think of, usually with the words antique, vintage, rare, collectible, and my most hated "L@@K" in the description.   Leather workers are willing to pay top dollar for good old tools, so we get targeted by these scheisters.

Sometimes it works in our favour (not often, but......).   I got a lovey edging tool for just over £2, because it had been lumped together with an old, worn to the nub chisel as a wood tool.:)

Also true lumpendoodle!  Oh .. And I forgot another hateful word in these ads ... Patina, meaning rusted nearly through.

Bill

We are having a bit of a price hike just now on fleabay UK, and it's exactly as you describe.   A collection of worn out tools worth msybe, £30 if you're lucky, advertised for £300.

As you say, that's not rust, it's patina.:blahblahblah:

Edited by LumpenDoodle2

4 hours ago, LumpenDoodle2 said:

Sometimes it works in our favour (not often, but......).   I got a lovey edging tool for just over £2, because it had been lumped together with an old, worn to the nub chisel as a wood tool.:)

Not ebay, an 'antique' shop in Ironbridge. I picked up some leather working tools for about £1 average each as they were wrongly classified with woodworking tools

yup; we shure are

:P