ByNelson

Messenger bag .. I just can't stop making stuff

So  i just had to make one more, and this time it just came together so easy.. starting to trust my skills a bit more, all critique is welcome :)

IMG_7146.JPG

What's to critique? It looks great.

If anything at all, maybe smoothing the flesh side down. I use tokonole for that. You can get it from Rocky Mountain Leather Supply in the States.

32 minutes ago, bikermutt07 said:

What's to critique? It looks great.

If anything at all, maybe smoothing the flesh side down. I use tokonole for that. You can get it from Rocky Mountain Leather Supply in the States.

Do you have a before and after pic that treatment?

No, but with a glass slicker it comes out pretty good. It doesn't take too much elbow grease either.

Stuff smells a little like Elmer's glue.

16 minutes ago, bikermutt07 said:

No, but with a glass slicker it comes out pretty good. It doesn't take too much elbow grease either.

I'll look into that... could be something 

:)

22 minutes ago, bikermutt07 said:

you know, every time I use it I can't help think the same thing.  It looks like elmers, it smells like elmer's, it feels like elmer's...  I'm not being critical of it, I love using it and I love the results I get with it.  Can't recommend it highly enough.

Bag looks great.  I've been wrestling with a design in my head for a while with the intent of trying my hand at one of these as well.  My only "critique" would be the same as bikermutt's - you could also try lining it.

Can I ask a few questions that I'm wrestling with in my design?

- What weight leather did you use?
- What size prongs did you use? 4mm?
- Where did you get your hardware?

Cheers,

gg

43 minutes ago, geargarcon said:

you know, every time I use it I can't help think the same thing.  It looks like elmers, it smells like elmer's, it feels like elmer's...  I'm not being critical of it, I love using it and I love the results I get with it.  Can't recommend it highly enough.

Bag looks great.  I've been wrestling with a design in my head for a while with the intent of trying my hand at one of these as well.  My only "critique" would be the same as bikermutt's - you could also try lining it.

Can I ask a few questions that I'm wrestling with in my design?

- What weight leather did you use?
- What size prongs did you use? 4mm?
- Where did you get your hardware?

Cheers,

gg

I'm farly new with leather so didn't even know tokonole...

the lether is a croupon 2,8 mm

Don't remember size prong but 2,5-3 cm

and buy from a local store in Denmark 

It's like him tragacanth, but works better. Although, I like the smell of gum trag better.

And there isn't anything wrong with your bag. It looks really great.

On 5/11/2017 at 1:26 PM, bikermutt07 said:

Hi what is a glass slicker? Thanks in advance!

If it looks like Elmers and smells like Elmers...has anyone tried using slightly watered down Elmers? It's flexible and dries clear. Probably waterproof too when it's dry. Have to remember this next project.

Oh, and a glass slicker is a thickish piece of glass with a rounded edge used to slick down the leather...kinda like a light burnish. Makes the rough side smoother.

Edited by cradom

55 minutes ago, cradom said:

If it looks like Elmers and smells like Elmers...has anyone tried using slightly watered down Elmers? It's flexible and dries clear. Probably waterproof too when it's dry. Have to remember this next project.

Oh, and a glass slicker is a thickish piece of glass with a rounded edge used to slick down the leather...kinda like a light burnish. Makes the rough side smoother.

What he said....

https://www.tandyleather.com/en/product/glass-burnisher

Glass slicker really does come in handy just dont use it on bracelets