SouthernCross

Where do these "stamps" come from?

This guy has some really neat looking stuff (perhaps he's even a member here?): http://www.savoyleather.com/

I'm wondering how he gets those stamped impressions for things such as "101st Airborne", "Don't tread on me" with the snake, etc.  They look much too detailed and even (particularly something like the snake) to have been hand-carved.  Any ideas how he's doing that stuff?

those are certainly stamped. I've done many similar ones for customers.

He is obviously VERY good with an airbrush/paintbrush.

Most excellent artwork on those holsters

If you are doing a number of items then getting a custom stamp done can work out cheap pro-rata

I can get large stamps made for about $3 per square inch, minimum charge is about $120 for 40sq inches. That would do two stamps this size; so $60 per, on 10 items its then $6 per item

But that artwork is sommat else

I think it's a mix between hand carving and laser on the designs. Maybe the artwork is transferred to the leather with a laser, and some of it gets tooled. I don't think someone is doing it with stamps or transfer film.

On 5/15/2017 at 8:50 AM, SouthernCross said:

This guy has some really neat looking stuff (perhaps he's even a member here?): http://www.savoyleather.com/

I'm wondering how he gets those stamped impressions for things such as "101st Airborne", "Don't tread on me" with the snake, etc.  They look much too detailed and even (particularly something like the snake) to have been hand-carved.  Any ideas how he's doing that stuff?

Yes he is a member here but I don't think he has been on in a long time.

I suppose that could be a laser... but I think it looks more like an embossing stamp or plate.

Is the design burned on, like with a hot stamp?  However he is doing it, they are outstanding. I wish I was that artistically gifted.