nycdave

Can this jacket be saved?

Hello! 

I've only done a little bit of work here and there, mainly just some basic repair and improvement, and have always found the forums here a great resource.

But I've run into a problem I haven't been able to figure out a good solution for, even searching through here! 

I have a good cowhide black leather jacket that's about 17-18 years old and have worn the hell out of, year in and year out. I've replaced the lining at least twice. I love it.

Last year, however, I started noticing that it was leaving black smudges on my shirt collars. I mentioned it to the cobbler I take my dress shoes to here in NYC, and he asked to take a shot at it, did some "re-painting" of the collar and seams. That seemed to do the trick... for a few months. But slowly it started rubbing off on clothes again, now accompanied by smudges coming off from the cuffs and the bottom of the jacket on my pants as well as the collar!

My sweat IS highly toxic to clothes, but whose isn't? And it managed to survive for a decade and a half at that point. I cleaned it once or twice a year, and re-applied some water protectant. What was going on?

I tried using Resolene on the collar (sponge application), drying it thoroughly, re-applying, drying, and then applying fiebling's water & stain protector. It looked fine... But almost immediately started rubbing off again, especially near the seams.  

So, dear friends, is there anything I might be able to do to salvage this jacket, that won't wind up costing me as much as a brand new one (or, more likely, a brand new used one ;) )? Or am I better off just saying it's had a good life, and bid it a fond farewell? Would be happy to post some pics later from home if there's anything that would be of help in diagnosing & finding a solution! 

Thanks everyone!

I've found Liquitex Varnishes to be excellent sealers for dyed leather. It's flexible and waterproof when dry. It might work and it's not very expensive.

I am not an expert and have never refurbished a leather piece but my thought is to maybe redye the whole thing?  Perhaps there is a spot that has been rubbing that hasn't been re-coated. That might end up costing quite a bit though. Perhaps the inside needs re-dying and re-coating with acrylic resolene? Are the smudges only coming from the edges of the jacket? Or is it coming from the inside?