Looking to buy 1st sewing machine.Found a singer 331K4 for $450.00.Will this machine sew 2-6oz veg tan.This is new ground for me so any and all help is needed.Also if anyone owns one of these machines what rating would you give it?Thanks,Jack

The Singer 331 is a newer version of the ancient 31-15 (which I own). These are tailoring machines. The needles are fairly short, in the scheme of things and not readily available in sizes over #18 or 20. Based on my experience with the 31-15, the machine should be able to sew 6 ounces with #69 bonded thread, using a #18/110 leather point needle. You can get all manner of accessory presser feet, including a complete roller foot conversion kit. A roller foot is the best foot to use on a straight stitch machine for sewing leatheror Naugahyde.

Most tailors and seamstresses who own these old machines sew garments and sew them very fast. I used to live across the street from a Romanian lady who donned a babushka when she sewed at about 30 stitches per second on her 31-15, which was powered by a clutch motor geared 1:1 with the machine pulley. The 331 you found will probably have a clutch motor with a similarly large pulley. It will be a nightmare to use to sew leather, which you'll probably want to sew at 5 to 10 stitches per second and under. I can foresee a Family Sew servo motor with a small pulley in your future.

I've got one of these and it's a nice enough machine, for what it is. As Wiz said, the needles are what I would call an odd-ball size. I fitted a roller foot but haven't actually used the machine much (it was free, but took a bit of work to get it running). It should sew what you want, but If you're looking for your first leather machine this is probably not the right one to get (I consider it more like a second machine when someone already has a suitable leather machine). A bit of advice, if you think you'll be getting into leatherwork then seriously consider a walking foot machine. It will be much more suitable for leatherwork and as Wiz also said factor in a servo motor. You'll be struggling with anything less than this combination.

Save your money and time and go for walking foot (triple feed) if you primarily sewing leather , and i think the price is a bit high just for a drop feed machine?

Thanks for the replys to my question about the machine.Think I'll keep saving my pennies and buy a new machine,that way I'll know what I'm getting.Thanks again,Jack

You don't necessarily have to buy a new machine, just one that is suitable for what you want to do. At least now you have a better idea what to look for.

If you are unfamiliar with terms like walking foot and triple feed watch my video about them.

I'll mention several models that first timers should keep an eye out for and the features to look for.

That is an excellent video Jason.