mikesh

8 string saddle

Just finished a saddle for my wife.  Tried to make it as lightweight as possible, cut down skirts, fenders, ect.  Also my first try at a inlayed seat, pencil roll on cantle, and antiquing, so tell me what you think.  Thanks, Mike2017_0203coathippie0005.JPG.c74f911ae38e3dda748030e8bbbbd5e0.JPG2017_0203coathippie0002.JPG.ff83a7882c99c7fbda08e5ab3e378661.JPG2017_0201coathippie0013.JPG.dbd95f293462c3894dfbdc050067f12d.JPG2017_0201coathippie0001.JPG.24412227496557e843b256b0b6637815.JPG2017_0201coathippie0007.JPG.7ba1106316eab21bd49c6c3eff67878e.JPG

That looks great!

That is a thing of sentiment and beauty!

Mike,

Nice looking saddle. I like the dragonfly and cattails. Kudos for trying some new things like the inlaid seat. I haven't worked up the courage to have exposed stitches on cantle binding, but I will have to tackle it at some point.

Thanks for sharing.

Randy

Thanks everyone, trying the pencil roll was scary, I glued up a piece about the same thickness and practiced alot before trying, but still had a few stitches that didn't come out as nice as wanted.

I did a standard cantle binding on the first saddle I made and worried to death about the look of the backside stitches. So, I decided to use the hidden back stitch technique in Stohlman's book.  It looks great and made stitching much easier not finessing the back stitch. I'm making a third saddle now and suppose I should buck up and take the challenge of an exposed stitch line, hmmm.  -- John

Nice job Mike - Ground seat shape looks good!

Nice job Mike! How much did it end up weighing? 

All the best! 

Josh

Thanks, everyone.  I don't have a scale at home and haven't taken it anywhere to weigh it yet, but I'll let you know when I do.  Mike