DavidRM

which to choose Consew 206RB or Chandler 67?

I want a walking foot leather sewing machine.  I found a couple of used machines available in my area - a Consew 206RB-4 and a Chandler (Adler) 67.    I would use to sew veg tan leather - bags and other similar items.   In general which would be a better machine?   The used Consew is more expensive, but I am more interested in which one will be a better machine over time.  If they are roughly equivalent I may go for the cheaper Chandler.   What thickness of leather layers could I expect each of these machines to sew through?  Will one sew through a thicker layer of leather than the other?  Thanks for any comparative advice.  The Chandler is fitted with a servo motor, not sure about the Consew.

Chandler is a clone brand and a child company of Consew USA. Unless that Chandler (Adler) 67 is actually a German built Adler, I would avoid it and go with the Japanese built Consew (unless it is worn out).

Were the Consew 206 RB-4s built in Japan or China?

The seller, a sewing machine mechanic, says the consew 206RB-4 it was built in Japan by seiko and that the current 206rb-5s are built in China.  It is well used but either well maintained or refurbished.

Sounds like the consew is a good way to go - and should be easier to get parts for it.  It currently has the  original low speed (1725RPM) clutch motor, but he would put in a new FESM-550C servo motor for a little more.   I get the impression that many like servo motors (especially with speed reducing belt system), but it doesn't seem there is anything wrong with clutch motors if you have the right feel for it? My use will be veg tanned leather - often about 3/16" thick, but 5/16 will not be uncommon for me to sew - so I want something that can take it.    I will not be running the machine several hours a day - will not be heavy usage.    Dare I ask opinion on server vs. clutch motor?   Or is that too controversial?  The seller offered to let me try it first and swap out if I want the servo motor - what should I look for when I test it?  Thanks all.

Until the last 5 or 6 years, all of the industrial sewing machines I owned had or came with clutch motors. Presently, only one of my shop machines has a clutch motor. I learned over the years to feather the clutch to sew slowly. The best thing you can do is to replace the motor pulley with a 2" or less diameter pulley. This slows down the speed and multiplies the torque. The clutch has a cork brake that can be adjusted to give more or less free play before it engages.

Servo motors don't need to be feathered to sew slowly. Just treat it like a gas pedal. But, some types and brands of servo are touchier or jerkier than others. I prefer the servos that have a knob or rotary switch on the front to limit the top speed. I despise the types that have two push buttons to change functions, direction and speed.

Not controversial. Clutch motors are great for high speed garment machines, not so good for the slow speed and control often needed for leatherwork. Someone who is skilled can use a clutch motor successfully on leather, but that isn't most of us! If you're new to this then a clutch motor can be a scary thing to start with, if you can get it fitted with a servo then do so, it will make your leather sewing much more enjoyable. Fitting a speed reducer with a servo will also give you increased low-speed torque, but that may not be necessary, just depends what you're sewing.

I have a Consew 206RB-1. I bought it from a retired holster maker who sewed with it for decades using the original clutch motor. It would sew a million mph with that clutch motor, it hummed loudly, and it was very, very heavy. I got a FS-550 servo from Cowboy Bob and it made the machine way more controllable, quiet, and weighed a lot less(makes moving it around easier). I really like my 206. I sew everything from purses to belts to padfolios on it. Built like a tank.

OK - I purchased the Consew 206RB-4.  It sews nice even stitches and is well adjusted.  I tried it with the original clutch motor.  I didn't like the humming.   I went for the new servo motor.  Regardless of motors there will be a learning curve for me - so I will get to learn.  I think I will learn faster with the servo motor.   It should serve me well.   I should post a photo of some projects I did before I got the machine and then in the future something I make with the machine.  Oh yes and when we had to carry the table upstairs I was very glad to have the lighter servo motor on the table.  Thanks for the input from all.