OK, show and tell time -

Here's a 111W155 I bought for $50, and finally got around to rebuilding, a bit over a year ago. It was in pretty rough shape, but came with a reasonable table and a truly massive Singer clutch motor.

I replaced a lot of parts , new bearings, take up link, etc, etc, etc - It wound up costing a little more than the original $50 ;~)

As you can see, it's been "modified" a little, with a nice 6" Browning sheave I found on e-bay for a couple bucks.The best part about the new pulley, is that it's grooved for a 3L belt, so the belt is exactly flush with the pulley edge, making it a comfortable handwheel. I covered the resulting "joint", between the machine and the new wheel, with a "sleeve" I machined - It attaches with a hidden set screw

It has a 750w servo motor now, with a 2" pulley, and has a LOT of low end power, and excellent control - A pleasure to use.

I also modified the table a little, cutting the left edge and hinging it, to save space . I also put it on wheels, so we can move it around, and use the big work table as an outfeed.

We usually use it with V138 thread, mostly for heavy webbing, canvas, sailcloth, etc, but sometimes leather - It has sewn anything we've been able to fit under it, so far.

And yes, I know it's green, but I had some green paint, and ............ We just refer to it now as the Green Machine

That's what I got for today

before.jpg

111sm.jpg

on stand.jpg

Sweet greenness!

I'm green with envy!

Brings a smile to Irish eyes :)

7 hours ago, 480volt said:

Needs parallel white stripes running over the top. And lighting by Lucas.

Ah Lucas, aka the Prince of Darkness.

Singer 211. This particular 211 is a 211U166A. This is a workhorse triple feed (walking foot, needle feed, drop feed) reverse, bobbin winder and drop in bobbin. These heavy with steel and run very smooth and sure and inspire confidence. Great flat bed for wallets, belts, canvas, denim.

Singer 211U166A Reduced.jpg

^^^ 211U166A - I have it's twin ..will sew 8 to 9 mm ( total thickness ) of veg tan if run slowly with a speed reducer ( I made my own ratio is 5:1 ) and a servo..love it :)

Edited by mikesc

A few machines it took a long time to work up to. What I can say is there was a lot of great post i tried to figure out just what was being said in years past. In time it came together and so moving forward with some canvas projects and in time more leather projects. In these pics are a Juki 1508NH running 190 needle system, this is a brute, its a top load bobbin machine. Just beyond is a cylinder arm Juki 1341 running the 135x17 system. A machine very dear to collars, cuffs, and any boat ladders type crap going up through canvas. Besides all the bags and corners. It still sux trying to hold yards of canvas trying to work some od ball radar or ladder sleeves. 

Both machines using sew quiet servos 5000 and the cyl arm using a 6000 series i would like to refit both with pulley reduction system with the box style. These motors can punch some holes but as an old retired wrench, designing machines gear or pulley systems should be to keep at the medium, not stressing. I believe this would be best for heavy leather punchin. 

Taking a gander on back in the photo is a Cobra class 4, I picked up last year and so glad to have been part of that deal. Its ready for the big thread whenever thats needed, running 277 thread for now.

I can say the site here has given me lots to think about, and many times my questions i can imagine the eye rolls! And cannot blame anyone honestly.

But anyhow a big thanks to the help around here, I've got a hell of lot to learn.

Good day

Floyd

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-P4c2fgk/0/0624f696/O/i-P4c2fgk.jpg

Edited by brmax

brmax, that is a nice setup, nice, nice nice. I live in missouri too, just east of Kansas City in Odessa. Thanks for the great photo, looks like a great place to work.

Hey thanks Jason  (homie)

Trying to get all these things movin the same direction is starting to be work. Lucky to have a crowd to field all the parts n pieces questions.

The big focus now is transfering to production versus shop build up. This is again different than previous carreer, so a step at a time. Im still not locked in with a seperate leather bench, on its own.

good day 

Floyd

The Juki LZH-1290 is a drop feed zig zag machine designed for butt seaming leather and other materials mainly for the construction of shoe and boot uppers. 10 mm bight and Large bobbins make this a standout zig zag.

Juki LZH-1290.jpg

Bought a Sailrite Ultrafeed LSZ-1 a couple of months ago, not knowing enough about machines. Was feeling kinda sick as the 30 day return window had closed. Then saw where they were putting together a package to switch out to a servo motor and a table top made for the Ultrafeed. Ordered it as fast as I could and now I can sew a stitch at time if need be, am loving the control this gives me.

Hello! I know this is an old thread but found it searching for industrial machines for leather working. Last weekend I picked up a pretty Chandler TDU-N62 for under $500. Its in great condition. I (read: Husband...) am now in the process of modifying it to work for my needs, mainly small projects like journal covers, jewelry, etc. From what I have learned in a short amount of time, I need to slow this beast down. Looking into a 'reducer'. I also dont like the way the walking foot leaves permanent marks in the leather (thinking of filing that down a bit...?). I'd also like to find the thickest thread/needle I can use with this machine. Researching continues!

Anyway, still learning my way through this but wanted to share a few photos. Love seeing everyone's set up!

IMG_4914(1).thumb.JPG.539c25579f1a41d2e061208459b004b1.JPGIMG_4915(1).thumb.JPG.24f2be634acef7407d8a5c6e0a28ffd3.JPG

There should be a tension adjustment for the presser foot force. I'm guessing, it's the spring tensioned thingie at the top of the machine. (At least that's where it is on the leather machines).  If it's just "sharp edges" on the presser feet, smoothing it may help. Otherwise, it will need the force reduced. You have your own "green machine" now! 

There are a lot of experts on various machines here on the forum. I'm sure some will check on this!

Jeff

6 hours ago, littlecraneleather said:

Hello! I know this is an old thread but found it searching for industrial machines for leather working. Last weekend I picked up a pretty Chandler TDU-N62 for under $500. Its in great condition. I (read: Husband...) am now in the process of modifying it to work for my needs, mainly small projects like journal covers, jewelry, etc. From what I have learned in a short amount of time, I need to slow this beast down. Looking into a 'reducer'. I also dont like the way the walking foot leaves permanent marks in the leather (thinking of filing that down a bit...?). I'd also like to find the thickest thread/needle I can use with this machine. Researching continues!

Anyway, still learning my way through this but wanted to share a few photos. Love seeing everyone's set up!

Here is a good vid of that machine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6apOFMN2PTA

In the vid comments is a link to the manual:

http://strongbolt.work/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Rex_Chandler-26-188-and-TDU-N62.pdf

135x17 (or for leather 135x16) needle up to a size 23 so you are safely looking at a 138 thread or maybe up to a 207 with some tweaking.

I keep posting up about the Sailrite/Reliable 12 coil servo motors. They have fantastic power and slow speed control. I've used ancient clutch motors, newer clutch motors, basic and more advanced servos and out of all of them the Sailrite has been my favorite. (The Reliable Sewquiet is basically the same motor)

https://www.sailrite.com/Sailrite-Workhorse-Servo-Motor-110V

https://store.keysew.com/catalog/product/f12bce0ab9754bbc84a8055aaf375ffc

Or add a speed reducer pulley if you really want to go very slow.

https://store.keysew.com/parts/sewing-parts/sr-2

You're looking at $150 - $200 for total speed control investment.

Grinding the "bite" off of the presser feet and backing off the pressure should help a lot with the marks.