Sign in to follow this  
PappysLeather

What paint to use on leather

What kind of paint can be used besides covalent paints? I am painting a project white and the cova white is not covering right.

Never used Tandy cova paint. I used Fiebings when I started. I have since switched to Angelus. I can order from them direct. 

Paint varies in how much they will cover in one coat. More times than not I will have to apply a second or third coat to get coverage. Sometimes it helps to paint white first as a base for some colors on raw leather.

You want to use water based acrylic paints on leather, in my opinion. They are available at wal marts, hobby stores, and just about any where. Even cheap acrylic work on leather, however, cheap paints require more work. A lot of artists paints are really thick and need thinned a little with water to make the brush strokes flow out smooth and for the paint to get a bite into the leather. You end up having to do multiple thin coats to get good even coverage.

The best I have used for leather so far is Angelus brand acrylic paints designed for use on shoes and leather. Most even come with a brush built into the lid, which is nice when you are painting letters and such. Angelus colors tend to be more vibrant and cover better with less coats. I am sure there are other brands that work equally as well, airbrush artists use a lot of water based acrylics, so I am sure there a lot of good brands marketed to those folks as well.

Here are a few of my Angelus paint jobs

DSC02933-2_zps8jj6p7dp.jpg

20161028_112855_zpsqunlzaut.jpg

Krentz1_zpsuogyq1rx.jpg

victoria%20%20padfolio%201%201%20of%201_

received_10103120989558830_zpsez1w8sad.j

ashley%20cover_zpswvsyrpvr.jpg