alex11

Flatbed machine: space saver table and direct-drive conversion

Does anyone know of a space-saving table solution for flatbed machines?

I just recently got an Artisan 618-1SC, and since I live in an apartment I would love to reduce its footprint. I was thinking of modifying the table (basically cutting it in half). I would then just wheel it up next to a multipurpose work table (to use as an "outfeed table" when working on big projects). But if there already exists a cylinder-arm machine style small table that will fit a flatbed machine, that would be even easier.

Another thing I've been considering is converting the belt-driven servo motor to a direct-drive geared setup, which would be much more compact. Does anyone know of a direct-drive conversion kit that doesn't break the bank? Efka is just way too much for a hobbyist like me...

This thread by @bikemaniac was very interesting, but more cost/work than I was hoping to go to. If I do something similar, I'll probably just reuse the motor and controller in my existing servo motor... but the problem is gearing it down (i.e. replicating the 3:1 gear reduction currently being done by the belts/pulleys).
http://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/59848-my-very-first-almost-homemade-sewing-machine/

I found one promising direct-drive conversion kit on Alibaba, but of course they won't sell me just 1 unit, and I can't find anyone who stocks this:

http://www.china-yumamotor.com/lockstitch-sewing-machine-servo-motor/direct-drive-lockstitch-sewing-machine-servo-motor.html

Any suggestions or wild ideas are welcome!

Try searching this
site:leatherworker.net stepper motor
there have been some interesting threads about stepper motors here, frequently they have been used in a way that seriously reduces the "footprint"..
Amongst the results for that search string above is this following thread
http://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/70144-new-to-sewing-leather/
some of the pics may give you some ides about alternative table and mounting methods that can save some space..
HTH :)

BTW..the Chinese company that you linked to does say that they accept MOQ ( minimum order quantity ) 1 piece..Freight on a 3.2 kg package would not be much depending on how it is sent..even though they say FOB, most Chinese companies have accounts with the big guys like Fedex and UPS etc and have good rates for "including shipping" even on small orders..

Edited by mikesc

15 minutes ago, mikesc said:

Try searching this
site:leatherworker.net stepper motor
there have been some interesting threads about stepper motors here, frequently they have been used in a way that seriously reduces the "footprint"..
Amongst the results for that search string above is this following thread
http://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/70144-new-to-sewing-leather/
some of the pics may give you some ides about alternative table and mounting methods that can save some space..

Oh wow, the photos in that thread are exactly what I want to achieve -- thanks! I swear I did search before posting, but I guess "stepper motor" is the key word :)

15 minutes ago, mikesc said:

BTW..the Chinese company that you linked to does say that they accept MOQ ( minimum order quantity ) 1 piece..

The MOQ of 1 is just for samples. I always assumed they would only fulfill a sample order if they expected you to order a lot later on. Do you think I would be able to just order 1 sample and that's it?

Most companies realise that you are not gong to order 100s of anything that is "expensive" "right off the bat"..IIWY I'd tell them that you are very interested to try one..you never know if you are really impressed and the price is right you might be able to buy more and start a small side business selling them to others, you can't be the only one in the USA that wants to reduce the size of their machine's "footprint"..Just look at the number of posts in threads here and elsewhere ( upholstery and sailing fora ) on the subject..

Don't tell them that you'll take more for sure..tell them that if the 1st is OK , then you may be back with a larger repeat order..most companies will ship 5 or 10 units a few times with their brand on them, as long as they are making a profit..and as long as you pay "up front"..Ask them how much to ship you one..Depending on your bank TT will cost you about $15.00 to $25.00 extra..( ask your bank, they will need to know the Chinese companies bank to give you the exact charge, it depends on if your bank has a "direct correspondence" with their bank, or if they have to go via other banks, each "hop" costs a few dollars extra ... What have you got to lose ..

Edited by mikesc

Bit of a problem if trying to make a minimal table for a flatbed machine, due to the large cutout needed and the drip tray underneath. I guess a pedestal-type mount could be made, but it would be a bit more complex than that needed for a cylinder arm machine. All I can suggest is cutting down a standard table so it is no wider than the legs and perhaps cutting some off the back so it isn't as deep. I have to make a table (eventually) for a walking foot head I have and that's all I'll be doing.