Howdy guys

I'm a newbie to tooling even though I'm 68 yrs. old. I would like some opinions on my tooling attempts and what I can do to improve? Here's my problem. I can't upload any of my pics. It says I can only upload a max file size of 1.46MB and all my photos are at least 3.+ MB's. Any ideas Thanks.

Stoney 

I upload all my pictures to photobucket and then use there direct photo link to post pictures.

You can download Irfanview photo editor - it's free - and it is very easy to resize the photos so you can post them.  Just search internet for Irfanview.

I can only speak to I-phones, but I send my photos to myself in medium size, and then save them back to the photo library. This seems to reduce the file size enough to post them.

5 hours ago, glockanator said:

I upload all my pictures to photobucket and then use there direct photo link to post pictures.

Posting links to other services where your photos are stored results in broken links and loss of photos in your posts here when photos are moved, deleted, accounts closed, etc.  Much better for future viewing on this site to post them here.  You can create albums here that accept larger photos, and link them into your posts here.  As you peruse various threads from a couple years or more back, you will see how many links are broken.

Tom

6 hours ago, stoney327 said:

Howdy guys

I'm a newbie to tooling even though I'm 68 yrs. old. I would like some opinions on my tooling attempts and what I can do to improve? Here's my problem. I can't upload any of my pics. It says I can only upload a max file size of 1.46MB and all my photos are at least 3.+ MB's. Any ideas Thanks.

Stoney 

Hi there Stoney.  I'm a few years older than you, and have no problem re-sizing my photos.  It does take a little research and time to learn this stuff if you haven't been working with it before.  You can do it!

Suggestions have been made about using Irfanview.  It is quite powerful and is good software.  There are also online web services that you can use to shrink your files.

For most cases, reducing the photo to about 800 x 600 pixels is quite adequate for web viewing.  It also helps those members that are on the fringes of the web with low download speeds as they don't have to wait several minutes for photos to load.  You can pack a lot of 800 x 600 photos into 1.46 MB.  Saves a lot of server storage space too.

Tom

Hey guys

Thanks for jumping on my dilemma, I appreciate the advice. I'm not sure what program I'm using for my pics.? I just upload them from my Nikon D3100 right to a file I have on my desktop. I tried opening the pic in my post, but got the error message about file size restrictions. I have NO idea how to resize my pics. to fit the criteria? This is a brand new HP desktop computer with Win 10, It's about 4 months old and I HATE IT!!!!! My old Dell was much nicer/user friendly, but it was using Win XP and could no longer be upgraded. I bought it in 2010. I got my money's worth out of it! Thanks again. Be well.

Stoney

okee-doakly you need a basic photo editing program or use the likes of Photobucket.

I'll say what I do;

1. I use a very basic Photoediting program. [= PaintShop Pro, which was on a free CD on a  magazine very many years ago] In it I can re-size the photo. I use a Canon 50D and Fuji 5000.

I save the original photo into my files where I want it. Then I bring it into the photo editing window. No matter what size the original is I can 'crop' it - remove excess photo around the sides, then I save that photo to another file where I want the copies.

Then I choose to resize it from the 'Image' menu. I can set the pixel x pixel size to any I want. I make the largest side no more than 760 pixies thus the shorter size is usually well under 600. I save this photo with the same name as the two original copies but with the suffix of s - for small, eg 'Img,1234s'. The image/photo suite that came with your camera may well have a similar facility - seach the drop-down menus.

I place the small image on Photobucket and from there I can post it anywhere on the internet. It keeps my useage of Photobucket small, Currently I have nearly 1700 photos on it for only 430mb of storage.

2. Another way to do this is to put the original large photo directly onto Photobucket. It has an editing menu in which the photo can be resized to a any size, just type in the numbers. Then re-save in the new size. Note; you can save the smaller image as an extra one or to replace the original. Then copy the image URL to paste into here

Othee photo hosting sites have some editing facilities too but I can only say about Photobucket as thats the one I use.

#1 sounds long but I've been doing it that way for 10 years and I can do a bunch of photos in short time

~~ in all cases I recommend you save your original photo to your computer and either a DVD/CD or extra hard drive and only use copies to mess with

fredk

Now that sounds like something I CAN do! Thank you for the info.

Stoney

If you are on a desktop you can resize the photos in Paint program. Resave them back to your folder then just add them to the post. No need for photobucket or other pic hosts. I do it all the time.

I resize photos using a program that comes with Microsoft Office called Picture Manager. Using this program you can reduce a folder filled with photos all at the same time.

Most times for me cropping out the extra from the photo around the edges is enough to bring down the file size

22 hours ago, 480volt said:

I can only speak to I-phones, but I send my photos to myself in medium size, and then save them back to the photo library. This seems to reduce the file size enough to post them.

480volt

Thanks. I tried your method as well and I think it might be a little easier. I just emailed the pic. from my photo file to myself in a smaller format, then saved it to a new file with the extension "small" after it. Then I started a new topic under Critique my work, uploaded the files, and Viola' there she be. Thanks again everyone, for all the support.

Stoney