Hello everyone,

Here are a few pics of my latest bag. It is a commission piece. Customer requested a bag that resembled the Louis Vuitton Greenwich Neo.

The bag is made with Horween Natural Chromexcel. Fully hand sewn with beige fil au chinois linen thread (size 432 @ 6spi)

There is a shoulder strap, strap to secure this bag to his rolling luggage, luggage tag, padlock with keys and clochette.

Riri zipper, polished nickle hardware, cream canvas lining.

85384012-BDBA-476D-A7DC-00817DEAD9A4_zps

2E1DB2BD-953E-495B-9A06-90E56442BF5D_zps

BEC9E7F7-9181-4548-8D4B-63AACB0B3854_zps

ED3D10C3-7045-4E72-905C-5C2A98DF44AB_zps

D74AD9F5-963C-4261-BFDA-C30ABBA3A0A2_zps

E6F04566-495D-4329-8F7E-FA0FD9D447B6_zps

8def42f4-1c7b-434a-9d05-2c68f2464928_zps

558B6A42-6BEC-49A2-AF07-74588C31207E_zps

Thanks for looking

Chris

Wow..... great design and attention to details like edging and beading all the edges. I am sure the customer will be very please.

Absolutely stellar.  Impeccable stitching, nice edges, well executed design! 

YinTx

Wow , what a beautiful bag, what lining did you use ?

1 hour ago, plinkercases said:

Wow..... great design and attention to details like edging and beading all the edges. I am sure the customer will be very please.

Thanks very much

31 minutes ago, YinTx said:

Absolutely stellar.  Impeccable stitching, nice edges, well executed design! 

YinTx

Thank you!

8 minutes ago, Bogwot said:

Wow , what a beautiful bag, what lining did you use ?

Thanks very much. I used a natural/cream canvas.

Stellar!!!

Very, very nice!

Beautiful job!  Just curious, how many man hours do you think it took you to complete it?

10 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

Stellar!!!

1 hour ago, Big Sioux Saddlery said:

Very, very nice!

Thank you both !

18 minutes ago, garypl said:

Beautiful job!  Just curious, how many man hours do you think it took you to complete it?

Thanks very much 

From pattern design to final stitch maybe 20 man hours. I always tell myself to record the time but forget after the first session lol.

Wow, that is fast.  I'd take more than that just stitching, but apparently I'm slow.  I am even more in awe now.

Just curious, where did you get the transparent thread that you used along the top of the zipper? :)

YinTx

1 hour ago, YinTx said:

Wow, that is fast.  I'd take more than that just stitching, but apparently I'm slow.  I am even more in awe now.

Just curious, where did you get the transparent thread that you used along the top of the zipper? :)

YinTx

Ha I was waiting for someone to notice that. That was a progress pic I took before the lining was sewn in. I posted it because I liked the angle and lighting in that shot.

That for sure is dam fine piece of leather work craftsmanship.Very inspiring.Thanks for sharing

Wow!  That is absolutely amazing!  Attention to detail everywhere I look.

( from Ontario, eah? Cool)

2 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

That for sure is dam fine piece of leather work craftsmanship.Very inspiring.Thanks for sharing

Thanks very much, and its my pleasure.

1 hour ago, Basically Bob said:

Wow!  That is absolutely amazing!  Attention to detail everywhere I look.

( from Ontario, eah? Cool)

Thank you!

Yes I'm an hour north of Toronto.

Gorgeous, I'm jealous of your edges.  If it's not vegetan my edges are. . .well not that good.

An hour north of Toronto?  I'm in Bolton/Caledon.  We should do lunch and talk leather one of these days.

definitely a beautiful piece. if you can make that one, then you can compete with the greatest brands. 

Super work. I love the zip pull lock :) verry well done.

19 hours ago, venator said:

Gorgeous, I'm jealous of your edges.  If it's not vegetan my edges are. . .well not that good.

An hour north of Toronto?  I'm in Bolton/Caledon.  We should do lunch and talk leather one of these days.

Thanks very much. I'm not  fan of working with Chromexcel to be honest. It doesn't burnish, due to the high oil content it doesn't love edge coatings and it scratches so easily. That being said the customer was insistent on using CXL.

Definitely, we'll have to set something up in the future!

15 hours ago, AdamGadut said:

definitely a beautiful piece. if you can make that one, then you can compete with the greatest brands. 

Thanks Adam!

5 hours ago, Petewon said:

Super work. I love the zip pull lock :) verry well done.

Thnaks very much Pete!

Edited by 9tpi

Amazing job!!

17 hours ago, 9tpi said:

Thanks very much. I'm not  fan of working with Chromexcel to be honest. It doesn't burnish, due to the high oil content it doesn't love edge coatings and it scratches so easily. That being said the customer was insistent on using CXL.

Definitely, we'll have to set something up in the future!

Thanks Adam!

Thnaks very much Pete!

If you don't mind, what did you do to your edges? Paint and heat and repeat?

6 hours ago, Dun said:

If you don't mind, what did you do to your edges? Paint and heat and repeat?

I'll start off by saying finishing edges is my least favourite part of leather work. Some people are fanatical about, I am not. 

That being said I know they are important in creating a nice finished product.

My process can vary but my key things are making sure the edges of each piece of leather that I glue together line up exactly, or as close to exact as I can get them. Then, before I add any paint, I sand (600grit paper) and heat them with my Iron to make them become "one". Once they are smooth and uniform I sand them again with a more coarse sand paper to give the leather a bit of a "tooth" for the edge paint to hold on to. Then I paint the edge and smooth it with my iron. 

This process I usually never need more than 2 coats of edge paint. And as little sanding the paint as possible.

I'm sure that's as clear as mud but that's what I do.

Chris 

9tpi,

Congratulations on a very fine job.  I,  and  obviously others, like it very much.  I know the "Show Off!" Forum is working when seeing someone's project makes my want to jump into a new project of my own.

If the customer had not insisted on CXL, what leather would you have preferred to use?

27 minutes ago, johnv474 said:

9tpi,

Congratulations on a very fine job.  I,  and  obviously others, like it very much.  I know the "Show Off!" Forum is working when seeing someone's project makes my want to jump into a new project of my own.

If the customer had not insisted on CXL, what leather would you have preferred to use?

I much prefer the full veg tannage of Horweens Essex. In my opinion, it is a little more refined than the chromexcel. I feel the heavy pull-up of chromexcel is best suited to more "rustic" bags etc.