Katlyn4jc

Laser engraving stained/painted leather

Hi friends,

l am would love to first paint /stain my vegetable Tanned Learher and there after take it in for laser engraving. I don't want the etching process to affect the color of my leather. Can anyone recommend a seal that will protect the leather or even take me through the process if they have done it before. I appreciate all your help and advise friends. Waiting to hear  and learn from y'all. Thank you. 

Edited by Katlyn4jc

The laser must affect the leather, it burns it.  If you mean the other parts of the leather that the laser is not aimed at, it is not a problem.  The ash from the laser burned area can smudge, like any other burned charcoal will.

Oh yes, l mean the other parts of the leather that are not to be etched. Are they affected in any way? Let me edit my question 

thanks 

If the laser is set properly, it will not affect anything other than the part you are burning away.

If it is a legit laser it *should* have a compressor blowing air directly at the laser as it cuts. This helps remove any debris that gets sucked up into the dust collection system and also keeps the product from overheating/catching fire. Without owning one I think you should be fine with keeping the rest of the product unharmed. 

17 hours ago, Katlyn4jc said:

Thanks friends. What sealant works base for leather that is to be laser etched?

I've made stuff that is laser engraved.  Electron and Jersey are both right.  The laser burns the leather. The laser should have what is called an Air Assist that directs a stream of air at the surface where the beam is hitting.  The laser also has a good fume/smoke exhaust system that is sucking the stuff out the rear of the engraver. 

As long as the user is not using too  much power and generating excessive smoke and soot, all is well.
I use Leather Balm with Atom wax as a sealer.

I think the real problem will be getting the piece lined up so the laser pattern will exactly follow the painted/stained pattern.  Maybe mark up the platen the leather is to be placed on, do a light burn, then paint/stain and then re-position exactly where it was to do the final burn.  Anyway, you will need to work closely with the laser owner/operator.  You will need to have the pattern in an adequate format for the laser.

Tom

47 minutes ago, northmount said:

I think the real problem will be getting the piece lined up so the laser pattern will exactly follow the painted/stained pattern.  Maybe mark up the platen the leather is to be placed on, do a light burn, then paint/stain and then re-position exactly where it was to do the final burn.  Anyway, you will need to work closely with the laser owner/operator.  You will need to have the pattern in an adequate format for the laser.

Tom

If you are trying to engrave a design that you can paint, you'd want to cover the leather with blue painters tape and engrave through that.  Then, lightly wipe it to get any soot off and paint over the tape. You are essentially using it as a mask.  Let it dry thoroughly and peel off.

We engrave chrome tanned leather quite a bit at my work. Just started to get into the veg stuff. With my experience on chrome some can have a mask put on before the laser process but some will discolor when the mask is removed which is bad. i havent really had a problem with the soot sticking to the veg tan other than the white color. Pledge works ok. Also if you can mask off the leather and then engrave it there is a product called Eco-flo cova color which if you leave the mask on then you can fill the burned areas with the color let dry then remove the mask. looks sharp! hope it helps! Tom G is on the money another tip is get a packing tape gun and remove the blade it makes for a nice roller to seal the mask to the leather.

That sounds better.  Couldn't see how you would be able to line up precisely to etch after paint or dye.  Makes a lot of sense.

Tom