I am looking for a sewing machine that can handle a minimum of 1/2" thick of leather but can also do a small thickness of leather. so far I have been looking at the Cowboy 3200, but I would like to know some other alternatives(preferably less than $1700). Please help, Im a little lost when it comes to this stuff.

Thanks,

Payton

Edited by PJCustomLeather

The 3200 is going to have a maximum of 1\2". 

It is a good middle ground machine. 

Thinner items will be better served with a machine like the 227r or 341.

There is no do all one machine.

The consew 206 is less expensive but it is a flat bed.

Hope this helps.

It may be easier if the thin leather you consider is tough, like one 1/8" leather. Not knowing what your projects are is a bit tougher. But anyway going from 1/2" or three quarter inch directly to some garmet or thin chap is going to take some machine adjustments. I put in 3/4 because half inch even requires thicker thread in leather than say thin outdoor garmet. A point to consider is if the thin stuff is using the big threads like 277, 346, and up. Here is where some of the saddle Pros could help in my opinion if indeed these are the shop focus.   

Good day there

Floyd

11 hours ago, PJCustomLeather said:

I am looking for a sewing machine that can handle a minimum of 1/2" thick of leather but can also do a small thickness of leather. so far I have been looking at the Cowboy 3200, but I would like to know some other alternatives(preferably less than $1700). Please help, Im a little lost when it comes to this stuff.

Thanks,

Payton

For thin leather to beyond 1/2" thickness your best bet would be a 441 clone type of machine. They typically start at around $2500 but will be the closest to an "all-in-one" solution that you can find.

Ron