Howdy guys:

This is more of a question than a topic, so I hope I'm not infringing on post space?
I just got back into making accessories for Black Powder shooters, and I was wondering about "Possible Bags". I haven't made one since the 70's and don't remember what weight leather I used on it? Can anyone tell me, or post their patterns/photos. of one's they've made? I'm in the process of doing a complete BP shooter's package for someone,( rifle, patch knife, powder horn, et cetera) and at this point my only stumbling block is that doggoned bag! I'm looking to go "rustic" not fancy tooled. I know that sort of flies in the face of what this forum stands for, but my tooling really SUCKS, so why put myself through the heartbreak of failure? I posted 2 photos of my work, so you can see it for yourself?! I'm not sure where those pics. are? But I submitted them in one of my posts. Just in case you can't find them, I put them here too. 592c0cb7c5473_newtoolingattemptsmall.jpg.ff63dd2dd39385d9d68f469b4c30a9a9.jpgThank you guys.

Stoney

new feather _ small 2.jpg

Check out the patterns section and the live action role play section I think it's called. There are probably a few patterns and/or guys who could point you in the right direction.

Any of those sorts of bags I've made have been in anything from 1.5 to 2.5mm belly leather [1.5mm = about 4oz, 2.5mm = about 6 oz]. The bigger the thicker the leather. Heck, I've even used 1mm upholstery leather for smallish bags, [about 6 inches x 7 inches x 1.5 inches] OK if its not to carry much weight

12 hours ago, stoney327 said:

I'm looking to go "rustic" not fancy tooled. I know that sort of flies in the face of what this forum stands for, but my tooling really SUCKS, so why put myself through the heartbreak of failure?

Lots of work on this site with no tooling.  Leatherwork covers a very wide spectrum.  Good to here you are returning to leatherworking.

Tom

northmount

Thank you, I just found your comment. You can't really say "returning to leather work, since I never was good enough at it to even call myself a leather worker to begin with. I was just a guy who stitched two pieces of leather together, basically still am, but thank you very much. I realize that there is a lot of work here without tooling, but for me, tooling something that I'd be proud to show people is my goal.  I'm learning from this forum. Everyone here is too kind, and very supportive. I guess that's just how forum families/communities are? YouTube is great for a lot of things, but here you get quick responses from people who really want to help you. Thanks again. God bless.

Stoney

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 5:09 PM, Mattsbagger said:

Check out the patterns section and the live action role play section I think it's called. There are probably a few patterns and/or guys who could point you in the right direction.

Mattsbagger

Thank you for the input/advice. I didn't even know there WAS a pattern section? :~))))  I'll try to find what you're speaking of?

Stoney

A. a link;

http://leatherworker.net/forum/forum/9-patterns-and-templates/

there are over 10,000 postings; I'll let you search thru them :P

b. This forum is good & friendly; I've been on other forums which have been the very opposite

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 6:29 PM, fredk said:

Any of those sorts of bags I've made have been in anything from 1.5 to 2.5mm belly leather [1.5mm = about 4oz, 2.5mm = about 6 oz]. The bigger the thicker the leather. Heck, I've even used 1mm upholstery leather for smallish bags, [about 6 inches x 7 inches x 1.5 inches] OK if its not to carry much weight

fredk

Thank you. I just found an old possible bag that I made in the 70's. It's made of 5/6 oz. I mic'd it and according to the charts that I've found online. Since it mic'd. out at.092" then it's 5/6 oz. I just bought 2-5/6 oz. double shoulders so I should be good. In the past, I've used upholstery leather myself, stitches reeeeaal easy!!! :~)))) Thanks.

Stoney

8 minutes ago, fredk said:

A. a link;

http://leatherworker.net/forum/forum/9-patterns-and-templates/

there are over 10,000 postings; I'll let you search thru them :P

b. This forum is good & friendly; I've been on other forums which have been the very opposite

fredk

Thank you very much. I'll be happy to check these out. I always love looking at other people's work and ideas.

Yes...I've found some real "stinkers" too when it comes to forums over the years? I don't understand??? Why join a forum and post things if you don't actually want to help people? I don't really have a lot of help or advice that will benefit people, but I'll tell you what I know, if you ask.

For about 40 years I built custom guitars ( until my stroke) and NO ONE wanted to help me learn anything! it was like it was a big, deep, dark, secret. I had to learn what I DID find through books at the libraries and with trial and error. There was NO internet or YouTube back in the 70's, no guitar maker's forums or builder's nets. I can't thank the folks here enough for their/your help. God bless.

Stoney

2 hours ago, stoney327 said:

Yes...I've found some real "stinkers" too when it comes to forums over the years? I don't understand??? Why join a forum and post things if you don't actually want to help people? I don't really have a lot of help or advice that will benefit people, but I'll tell you what I know, if you ask.

There will be some subject where you will be the more knowedgeable and can add and further our learning. Remember that bit in 'Smokey and the Bandit' where Burt R basically says 'how stoopid you are depends where you come from'? You know guitars - I know nothing about them, but I bet you don't know how to strip, rebuild and tune up a 1930 Austin 7 Ulster racing engine [actually  - I don't either, :huh:, ............................just kidding, I do know :P ]

2 hours ago, stoney327 said:

For about 40 years I built custom guitars ( until my stroke) and NO ONE wanted to help me learn anything! it was like it was a big, deep, dark, secret. I had to learn what I DID find through books at the libraries and with trial and error. There was NO internet or YouTube back in the 70's, no guitar maker's forums or builder's nets. I can't thank the folks here enough for their/your help. God bless.

yup, some people want to keep their 'secrets' to themselves. Come across it lots. Sad innit? When I come across anyone enjoying a hobby/subject I enjoy and they want to learn I'll happily share any info. They ask questions; I answer if I can or direct them to someone who knows the answer if I don't

3 hours ago, fredk said:

There will be some subject where you will be the more knowedgeable and can add and further our learning. Remember that bit in 'Smokey and the Bandit' where Burt R basically says 'how stoopid you are depends where you come from'? You know guitars - I know nothing about them, but I bet you don't know how to strip, rebuild and tune up a 1930 Austin 7 Ulster racing engine [actually  - I don't either, :huh:, ............................just kidding, I do know :P ]

yup, some people want to keep their 'secrets' to themselves. Come across it lots. Sad innit? When I come across anyone enjoying a hobby/subject I enjoy and they want to learn I'll happily share any info. They ask questions; I answer if I can or direct them to someone who knows the answer if I don't

fredk

You're right, I have NO idea how to rebuild that engine! I just retired as a substitute teacher last September. I worked in a Vocational Technology High School. I taught 17 subjects. LOVED every second of it. I miss my students terribly, but poor health caused my retirement. I feel the same way you do, if I know something that someone wants to know, I'll tell them everything. You're a good man Fred. God bless, and thanks for all your post replies.

Stoney