Hi Everybody! 

Here is my first binder I've ever done. I like it a lot, though as always there are things that could be done better. For example one section of my stitching wandered a bit, but through the power of censorship I didn't include that in my photos :) .  It is made of two layers of some sort of calf skin. It isn't veg-tan, and it's not an oiled hide... well it kind of is.. I am not sure it feels like it's somewhere in between. Maybe stone oiled? The guy at Tandy didn't give me too clear of an answer, at least not one that stuck in my head hahaha. This is my first rolled edge project as well and it was definitely a learning experience... I got a little too liberal with the contact cement in a couple spots. 

Any and all comments or critiques are welcome. Yes, I know I'm not supposed to ask for critique here but I didn't want to do two separate posts and I really do feel like showing this one off. Let me know what you think!

..... wait... is it called turning the edge or a rolled edge? 

First Binder 6.jpg

First Binder.jpg

First Binder 5.jpg

First Binder 4.jpg

First Binder 2.jpg

First Binder 3.jpg

First Binder 7.jpg

I like the rustic look to the project. looks like a stone oiled to me... but... strange the Tandy fella want more knowledgeable (sarcasm)

I like that look!

About the contact cement issue - I  have better luck with rubber cement. If you get a little too much and the squeeze out shows up clean up is accomplished very easily. At worst  a pencil eraser will remove any excess. I have only used contact cement a few times, and understand that it may be superior in some applications, but  rubber cement has worked very  well 99% of the time. 

2 hours ago, Sofaspud said:

I like that look!

About the contact cement issue - I  have better luck with rubber cement. If you get a little too much and the squeeze out shows up clean up is accomplished very easily. At worst  a pencil eraser will remove any excess. I have only used contact cement a few times, and understand that it may be superior in some applications, but  rubber cement has worked very  well 99% of the time. 

I will keep that in mind though with this thickness/oiled hide I was even having trouble with the contact cement. It didn't want to stay down when I turned/rolled the edges. I had to clamp it down for a long time before it would stay. Maybe rubber cement will work better? 

Because it is a oil tan leather, glue dose not work the best on a rolled edge like that. Will often lift like a bandaid. If you skive the edge to take the pressure off of the roll,you will have better success with it.

On your corners,if you practice with the cut you will be able to make the corner a 45 degree edge where the edges bump nicely together. Instead of laying one edge over the other.

7 hours ago, leathersmyth said:

Because it is a oil tan leather, glue dose not work the best on a rolled edge like that. Will often lift like a bandaid. If you skive the edge to take the pressure off of the roll,you will have better success with it.

On your corners,if you practice with the cut you will be able to make the corner a 45 degree edge where the edges bump nicely together. Instead of laying one edge over the other.

I did everything but skive the edges. Thanks for the info. I thought sanding and scoring it with my scratch awl would be enough but obviously it wasn't. I will skive the next one. I did have luck with one side of it though because I clamped a metal ruler over the whole thing and left it over night because I was tired and went to bed. It held long enough for me to get some holes in it to stitch. I thought about 45-ing the edges and I agree it would probably be better. Any tips on 45ing corners? I didn't go the extra mile on this one because it is for a friend of a friend who didn't want to pay big bucks for a leather binder, but wanted hand made. So I took it as a learning opportunity, but wanted it done :) so I didn't spend a gagillion hours on it. 

20170530_173338-1209x1612.thumb.jpg.9f86c737d812330ba32aa46de03f872f.jpg20170530_173412-756x1008.thumb.jpg.e67ac45035ca39b5302d4e646270d52c.jpg20170530_173434-1209x1612.thumb.jpg.934adc2531d5f37286b389f482ff69f1.jpg20170530_174056-756x1008.thumb.jpg.afe3c287807cdb225b07ed004dafec25.jpgThere a real simple trick to the corners. First mark where you will be folding the edge over to. Then mark a 45 angle across the corner where the lines meet. Skive the edges. Cut across the line. And fold over. Here are some pics I hope will help. I just threw em together so they're crude, just proof of concept. 

Pretty much like that... :)

I always had trouble with making the 45 on bound edges. Then I saw a video of a saddlemaker on here do it and he just will nilly sliced the corner off like it was nothing. Haha. So in the hopes of saving someone some trouble and time I hope that helps you out. 

On 5/30/2017 at 5:46 PM, Stetson912 said:

20170530_173338-1209x1612.thumb.jpg.9f86c737d812330ba32aa46de03f872f.jpg20170530_173412-756x1008.thumb.jpg.e67ac45035ca39b5302d4e646270d52c.jpg20170530_173434-1209x1612.thumb.jpg.934adc2531d5f37286b389f482ff69f1.jpg20170530_174056-756x1008.thumb.jpg.afe3c287807cdb225b07ed004dafec25.jpgThere a real simple trick to the corners. First mark where you will be folding the edge over to. Then mark a 45 angle across the corner where the lines meet. Skive the edges. Cut across the line. And fold over. Here are some pics I hope will help. I just threw em together so they're crude, just proof of concept. 

This is a perfect explanation! Awesome! Thank you so much! I just had a request for a journal cover and plan on using this for it! Thank you! 

On 5/29/2017 at 7:17 PM, plinkercases said:

I like the rustic look to the project. looks like a stone oiled to me... but... strange the Tandy fella want more knowledgeable (sarcasm)

Thanks! Ya he was a new guy so I'll cut him some slack, hopefully I'll get the same since I'm a newbie too :)

No problem. If anything cut just past that angle line on the outside to keep it a little longer. That way you don't run the risk of it being too short and having a gap showing or something. Just something to consider when binding book board or something like that

Quick question:  what did you use to attach the three ring binder section to the leather?  Looks like a rapid rivet on yours, not sure.  Solid rivets don't seem to work right because you can't set the burr without damaging the binder.  I've been looking for chicago screws, but they are generally too large diameter to do the job.  I was concerned the rapid rivet would not take the stress over time.  So I'm in a bit of a bind(er), pun intended.  Any help/suggestions would be appreciated!

YinTx

On 9/27/2017 at 1:44 PM, YinTx said:

Quick question:  what did you use to attach the three ring binder section to the leather?  Looks like a rapid rivet on yours, not sure.  Solid rivets don't seem to work right because you can't set the burr without damaging the binder.  I've been looking for chicago screws, but they are generally too large diameter to do the job.  I was concerned the rapid rivet would not take the stress over time.  So I'm in a bit of a bind(er), pun intended.  Any help/suggestions would be appreciated!

YinTx

Hahaha nice pun! I used double cap rivets. I had to pull off the first couple of rivets though, they kept bending on me for some reason. I really had to take my time on it. I can't remember what size I used, but they are long enough to work (maybe a little too long and that's why it bent). Sorry for the late reply. I've been going seven days a week and haven't had a break since September. Hope that helps! Good luck!