Valarie

Howdy! From West Texas!

Hey ya'll! Just joined this group. Thank you, so much, for admitting me! 

My youngest daughter got into leathercraft as a possible way to make extra money, and she talked me into trying it. Didnt realize how expensive this new addiction would be! Haha!

I have done a few things already, and will post pictures, maybe. As a beginner, I am not very good, but the process is enjoyable, and I am eager to learn. As I get to know ya'll better, be prepared for endless questions!

I really like looking at other peoples projects and reading their victories and trials, and lessons learned. Maybe I will post some pictures, after all. Stand by the next few days!

Look forward to seeing your stuff.

Welcome to the forum. Everyone here is friendly and helpful.

I always suggest to new people to start with small repeatable items.

Bracelets are a great example. Make several at the same time. This will allow you to hone all the skills and techniques without burning up a lot of material.

Plus if you mess up on one you just chunk it and keep moving forward.

In the beginning I tried doing several one off projects. It was frustrating because I would forget a step or get my order of steps out of order.

Bracelets allows you to do several at the same time.

You can learn to use the strap cutter, dye, stamp and tool, laminate, burnish edges, stitch, set snaps, conchos, rivets, and other hardware. Learn how to condition and finish your leather.

You could get more than a month of fun out of just a shoulder or belly of veg tan leather. Very cost effective way to learn.

Enjoy.

Thank you, Bikermutt07! I wish I had had that advice sooner! 

ok, first question! I cant seem to upload pictures. It keeps saying I am only allowed a certain size and apparently my pics are too big. Any suggestions how to make it smaller on an iphone 6?

Welcome to the addiction you find many hours of enjoyment and sanity!!! Most of all have fun!! 

Ha! I figured it out! 

A little history here: bought some saddle skirting thinking I would try a leather corset I saw on youtube, but it didnt work out. Then I had to decide what to do with all that leather! 

Pictured here is a set of gauntlets. Dyed blue and mahogany, set with eyelets for the lacings. Tooled and painted and antiqued sunflowers. One of my first projects. Made my own pattern after looking at several.

IMG_3126.PNG

Well, tried another pic and its not working again. Ugh!

1 hour ago, Valarie said:

Thank you, Bikermutt07! I wish I had had that advice sooner! 

Yeah, me too. I only received this advice about 6 months ago. I'm pretty tired of bracelets now. 

Yeah, looking at the pic of the gauntlets, I can see the shoddy paint job. Good thing they were for me! Eh, learning experience.

Still working on getting pics on here. Ugh!

Edited by Valarie
Pic didnt come up

Hey! I figured it out!

Here is a pic of a quiver I made.  Tried to find uses for that thick, heavy leather I had bought.  This was fairly easy.  Copied the pattern from something off pinterest.  The symbols on the front refer to swiftness, accuracy, deadliness, etc.

leatherwork pics.PNG

Better picture of the front

quiver front.PNG

Cool.

Likeing it. Paint,stain,antique and finishing are all a art form in itself. The coaster from tandy are a cheap way to practice tooling stamping and finishes. And if they turn out ya got gifts for people.lol

Thank you! I had a bunch of key chain blanks that I started out on. Needless to say, very few "turned out"! Haha!  I have been blessed to have people donate leather scraps and leftover project material, and I buy remnants from Tandy to practice on.