y2k600f4

Just picked up a Singer 211G165 - Couple Questions

Hello Leatherworker forum members, I am new to this forum and wanted to first say thank you for sharing the wealth of information, expertise and willingness to help others. I was able to answer a lot of my questions just be reading previous posts!

I have wanted to get into some leatherworking and also to be able to sew some light automotive upholstery etc (first project was to make new sun visors for one of my cars), anyway I decided to purchase a walking foot machine (no previous sewing experience) and last week picked up a Singer 211G165 with Singer table and motor along with a bonus Consew 220 which I am hoping to sell to offset my investment. I purchased these from an upholsterer that recently retired, both machines supposedly were serviced and repaired before closing his shop. I have spent the majority of the week printing out the service manual and reading it, cleaning and oiling the machine, learning how to properly thread the machine (currently set up for #69 thread) and doing some beginning sewing (getting used to varying the speed with the foot operated clutch pedal). In addition I have visited a couple of the local upholstery shops to gather a few materials I needed for my first project and about to order some light weight leather and probably some #92 poly thread).

Machine appears to be in decent working condition but I did encounter my first issue a couple days ago when I attempted to adjust the stitch length. The safety clutch would engage kicking the machine out of time if I tried to adjust the stitch length other than the "5" setting. Thanks to this forum the problem was due to the stitch length cam being frozen, I oiled it and worked it loose, now the stitch length can be adjusted without engaging the safety clutch.

My first question is according the manual the maximum stitch length is 3.5 stitches/inch however the indicator goes from 0 to 3.5 and it appears that I am unable to get a stitch length less than 4 stitches/inch. Is there another adjustment to fine tune the minimum stitch length and why does the indicator go below 3.5 to 0? Thanks in advance.

Second question (forgot to post) is I was wondering if anybody had a better idea of date of manufacture; the S/N is PE36272 and according to Singer PA to PY manufactured beginning in 1954

Edited by northmount
fixed model number

Sorry for the long post. Let me re-post and get to the question I am most interested in:

According the manual the maximum stitch length is 3.5 stitches/inch however the indicator goes from 0 to 3.5 and it appears that I am unable to get a stitch length less than 4 stitches/inch. Is there another adjustment to fine tune the minimum stitch length and why does the indicator go below 3.5 to 0? Thanks in advance.

Sometimes the stitch length numbers in the window don't line up with what the machine does.  this can be because someone replaced the internal belt and did not line it up with the numbers.  I suspect if it is stitching that the timing is set correctly.  If your at the lowest setting and you sew a row, and measure the stitches on a test strip how far off are they from what the machine setting is?  You can also check the needle bar and make sure it is set coreectly and then check the feed dogs and see if there is nay play or wiggle in them.  It appears your not off by much.  3-4 SPI is are really big stiches. 

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 1:14 PM, Yetibelle said:

Sometimes the stitch length numbers in the window don't line up with what the machine does.  this can be because someone replaced the internal belt and did not line it up with the numbers.  I suspect if it is stitching that the timing is set correctly.  If your at the lowest setting and you sew a row, and measure the stitches on a test strip how far off are they from what the machine setting is?  You can also check the needle bar and make sure it is set coreectly and then check the feed dogs and see if there is nay play or wiggle in them.  It appears your not off by much.  3-4 SPI is are really big stiches. 

Thank you so much for the reply. I guess 4 SPI is pretty close to the 3.5 SPI minimum and probably not worth messing with. thanks again