Valarie

Saddle soap

What is the best way to use liquid saddle soap?

I spray it into a rag or denim and rub the piece.

The other day I found that it can remove tokonole from the grain side of leather.

I was slicking the flesh side of some wallet pieces and some got on the grain side. It came off pretty easy with the saddle soap.

Thank you, Bikermutt! Ive been told saddle soap will soften leather. Been using it like crazy, by the directions on the bottle and I dont see much change. Maybe a different kind?

What type and weight of leather are you trying to soften? If it is heavy vegetable tanned leather that has gotten dry and stiff, saddle soap will do next to nothing and sometimes make it worse.  I am partial to Neatsfoot oil for heavy veg-tan leather, especially anything that will see outdoor or equine use.  There are other preparations and conditioners available, and everyone has their favorite, but saddle soap is not meant to soften leather, regardless of what anyone told you or what the label may say. For lighter weight leather or fine, personal leather goods, a cream type conditioner may be more appropriate than NF oil. 

Ooo, I have been using the heavier leathers. No wonder the saddle soap isnt working! Thank you, so much!

It's a good cleaner. I use Aussie,carnuba cream or leather balm with atom wax. Or a combination of more than one. Depending on what I'm looking to achieve. Many on this site make their own and there are many recipes also. Time for experimenting! Get your undyed and dyed scraps out and see what works for you. https://youtu.be/zyTg_hfpNUM This video also might help.