rickdroid

Hand sewing tip for people with arthritis

I have arthritis and hand sewing can get painful at times.  The problem is having to grip the needle hard enough to be able to pull the needle through several layers of leather or, sewing some really tough leather.  I have been using nitrile gloves (the same ones I use for dying leather) to give me some extra grip on the needle.  Problem is they make your hands sweaty and are pretty uncomfortable for a long sewing session. 

A few days ago i came across a container of  'fingertip moistener',  trade name "Tacky Finger" that is normally used by people who have to handle lots of paperwork.  'Tacky Finger' is used instead of having to continually wet your fingers when sorting through reams of paperwork.  I used to use the stuff and remembered that it did make my fingers feel tacky so i thought that i would try it to see if it was of any help - and it worked very well.  It makes my fingers tacky enough to be able to grip the needles without feeling like i have to squeeze them in half.  The grip is pretty close to what i got with the nitrile gloves but didn't cause any problems handling the thread.

Thought this tip might be of use to some of you.

:You_Rock_Emoticon: "Thanks!"

Edited by JD62

3 hours ago, electrathon said:

http://www.michaels.com/bead-landing-mini-flat-nose-pliers/10443467.html#q=pliers&start=8

You might try these.  if my holes are tight I use them to pull, or push, the needle.

I've got a pair or those and occasionally need to user them but they really slow me down.  The Tacky Finger allows me to work at a pace closer to people who don't have arthritis.  Saves me a lot of time and a fair amount of pain.

I just thought that some others might find the information helpful.

I started waxing my thread with shoemaker's wax, and I find it makes a huge difference in gripping the needles. 

Hmm wish I could find needles for that thread!

Great tip thank you :)

On 06/06/2017 at 3:22 AM, JD62 said:

Hmm wish I could find needles for that thread!

:lol:    

Imagine the size of the cow the leather came off.:cow:

Great tip and I was just daydreaming about sometime like this today!! and here I find the answer. I have a bad thumb....

one question or concern is.. if it gets on the leather from handling before it is finished how does it affect the leather taking colour etc.?

Currently I use the vinyl gloves And needle nose when needed AND I have a plug of bees wax on the side of my horse and pony jaws and I 'dip" my awl in it ever hole or two so the wholes are waxed and the needles pick some up along the way.

shoe makers wax on the thread would likely act the same way and I will look into it

I am about to experiment with finger cots to avoid the sweaty hand action:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/100Pc-Orange-Natural-Latex-Rubber-Finger-Cots-Sleeve-Textured-End-Tacky-Multiuse-/131813555791?hash=item1eb0b33e4f:g:fS4AAOSwInxXNpKq

I can t find Tacky Finger in Canada but seem that SortKwik is essentially the same thing and available at staples.

9 hours ago, plinkercases said:

Great tip and I was just daydreaming about sometime like this today!! and here I find the answer. I have a bad thumb....

one question or concern is.. if it gets on the leather from handling before it is finished how does it affect the leather taking colour etc.?

I have never noticed any reaction between veg-tan and Tacky Finger or SortKwik but as always Test Test Test.

I can t find Tacky Finger in Canada but seem that SortKwik is essentially the same thing and available at staples.

I have used both Tacky Finger. and Sort Kwik or a similar spelling without any problem.

Thanks

rick

Thanks Rick. I will pick SortKwik up today as I hope to get some bench time on my holiday this next few weeks.

I have carpal tunnel syndrome and it gets painful to sew...

A saddle maker told me to pull the needle through the leather with a piece of bees was each time the needle was tight, my fingers took on some of the wax each time and now I never have to use a plyers when sewing. It was the best piece of advise I have received so far in leather working.

Thanks for the Tip! Anything to cut down on my hand pain ....

For what it's worth, I often use a sailmakers palm to help push the needles through tough or thick leather. For those who aren't familiar with this tool, it's worn on your hand and has a hard, textured plate to protect your hand when pushing the needle, almost like a flattened thimble. Once you get used to it, it's quite comfortable.

All the best, Mike

Well I just did my first 7 hours of stitching in the last 12 months... from 2 layers of 4oz through to 3 layers of 10-11 and that SortKwik is amazing stuff. Thanks for the tip. Much nicer not wearing vinyl gloves.

I will say that after a year away from riding the stitching horse I was very much beginners again and did not really come back up to speed and accuracy until last piece... oh well good to have gotten some hobby time.

Edited by plinkercases

Maybe some way to attach that disk to a finger so you don't have to pick it up every stitch...? Looks like a good thing to have.

I have arthritis in both thumbs, in the bottom joint.  I can't grip things like I used to anymore.  I've found a few things that help with hand sewing.  Using a stitching clamp to hold it so I don't have to grip the work piece makes a big difference for me.  I found a leather thimble years ago that I wear on my thumb.  It has a metal disk that you push against.  Mine is made out of 2+ oz soft leather.  It's three times as thick as the one I found at JoAnn's.  If you search for coin thimble you'll find something like it.  The closest I see is Clover Coin thimble, but it's easy to think the leather is thick looking at the picture, but it could be an illusion.  But if you pick up one of the cheapies, you'll have the coin insert and a pattern to make your own.

I found an awl on ebay that is a long slender one.  The point is fine and the taper isn't aggressive.  I use it to stretch open the holes I've punched with a stitching chisel.  Once it's opened up a bit, the needle slides through and they close back up afterwards.

Tools help, but they can do only so much.  I found that cutting out wheat, potatoes and tomatoes (night shades) makes a big difference in how much my hands hurt or don't hurt.  If I have a couple slices of bread or white potatoes at dinner, I know my hands will ache the next day.  This is my trigger.  Yours may be different.