mixmkr

recomendations for a good heavy duty, walking foot, zig zag

title says it.  I have a Singer 107W1 which is OK...but would like something with a little more....oomph.  Foot lift, arm space, wider stitches....

There's a High tech version...9266 I think.  Would those be available in the US?   It does straight stitch too I think. That might be ideal. 

Seems like we already went over this last December:

This Keestar GA204-104A sure looks like a step up from a Singer 107W1

Edited by Uwe

Sergey at SewPro also has a few heavy duty zigzag options that you can actually buy. The SEWPRO 146 RBI seems like a sensible choice.

146rbi.jpg

Edited by Uwe

Whatever you get, make sure you can crawl under the arm:image13.jpg

Wow thats a beast, and enough room for sure.

i guess bigger machines with bigger jobs. That is some canvas to move around, ya start folding or piling that to move around and you got some weight. I can see that puller being a life saver along with a requirement no doubt.  

Thanks for sharing the pic

Floyd

9 hours ago, Uwe said:

Seems like we already went over this last December:

Ha. Crack myself up. Still looking obviously but not wanting to spend $4k.  Good memory Uwe!!  

I bet if we ask on that machine Cory posted we would think 4K was a sale for some other machines. 

I meant to and forgot to ask if that sewing room there had the machines in the floor / lowered as some sail shops. Interesting for sure!

good day

Floyd

ps. Have to check on the 9204ZT 

Hightex, heck this one does the 4 step :rockon:

Edited by brmax

That was a photo of one of North Sails' lofts. Attached is another one. I assume the machine is on the floor and the rest of the room is one huge table. Wish I had that much sewing space. B)

I wonder if these are Solent machines. I'm assuming they're more than 4k. Scroll to the bottom for more huge machines:

http://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/solent-sewing-machines-ltd/product-38112-420079.html

BTW, mixmkr, I have a 2-point/1-step Sailrite Pro, which is their copy of the Consew 146, if you need any action shots. Looks like they're going for 2.3k right now.

c

northSail copy.jpg

I have a Brother TZ1-B652 that was the basis for the first generation Sailwright Sailmaker. I also have the Sailwright conversion of that Brother that has a hand crank for when you're away from electricity, as well as its motor, all in a wooden carrying case.

They are said to sew 12mm wide zig-zags but I think the maximum width is more like 10-11mm. They'll sew straight, as well.

I made some slight, reversible, modifications to the Brother so that I can sew eye splices in rope up to 1/2" in diameter with a little 1.5amp motor that I mounted to keep the machine portable. With a very short stitch length, I make two narrow passes and two wide passes, about 3" long, with #92 thread, and the rope breaks, not the splice, at about 8,000lbs. I have a crane and dynamometer that I use for testing

I bought the second machine, in the photos, thinking that I'd cannibalize parts if necessary, or maybe just to have another machine. But I really don't need it and would be willing to part with it for $900. It's heavy but way more UPSable than a table-mounted machine with motor. It is in excellent, unmodified condition. As I recall, they were over $2,000, new, a long time ago.

Gary

IMG_0617.jpg

IMG_0615.jpg

IMG_0611.jpeg

That handcrank and handwheel look awfully similar to the those fitted to my Singer 201K (even down to the mounting arm).

On 6/5/2017 at 9:10 AM, Uwe said:

On 6/5/2017 at 9:10 AM, Uwe said:

I asked for a quote for one from China and the freight was twice the cost of the machine.

On 6/5/2017 at 12:02 AM, mixmkr said:

title says it.  I have a Singer 107W1 which is OK...but would like something with a little more....oomph.  Foot lift, arm space, wider stitches....

I started with the 107 but a dealer recommended a Pfaff 38.   It works for me and does what a need to stitch 2 layers of 8 oz. veg.

6 hours ago, casemaker said:

I asked for a quote for one from China and the freight was twice the cost of the machine.

You'd also have to pay a considerable Customs and Duty charge before taking delivery.