Grumpymann

Not sure what I should do .....

Would like to start out by saying I'm by no ones imagination a Pro. I work leather for fun and supplies. And if I'm lucky I can get a slider @ white castle ( If I add 50 Cents). I WANT to be a pro. maybe in a few years I could make enough to pay rent. But as for now ......

That said I have been making a few bucks. Last week a co worker in the salt mine (What I call my day job) asked me about a wallet for herself. I quoted her 25 dollars. Went home drew up a pattern cut it out in card board did a few test in scrap to ensure the sizing. Made the item monogramed it and handed it to her. And went to my station. 

@ lunch I asked her If she was happy she seemed to get emotional and said she didn't have any money. (Well I know where she works) I said pay me when you get the chance. 

A while ago she walked up to me and handed me a check I didn't look just folded it and put in my empty wallet and went back to work. I looked and it is almost for almost 2X's the amount I quoted her. Told her it was more than I told her it would be but she waved me off saying she seriously under paid. 

I know the emotion thing has nothing to do with me I could just be the tilt of my head reminded her of her favorite uncle or something. But that is not the first time some one has paid me more than the quote. Not that I don't want or need the money mind you but I pride myself on fair value for the dollar. 

Not sure what to do with this........ (not the money I KNOW what to do with that!) 

Say "Thank You" and then go look at all your tools and add up what they cost. She paid you more than money...

unless you made a card wallet with 2 pieces of leather, you way undercharged her. Say thank you and put the money back to work with more materials and tools.

Similar thing happened to me. Made a pair of gun belts and holsters for a friend of my dads. I was just happy to do the project and am a novice so I didn't want to charge the guy too much. Basically added up what supplies cost and charged that. Anyways, through some miscommunication he thought I was making him just one belt. I would send him pictures throughout the process and he always said how great they looked. He realized finally I was making two belts and two holsters and doubled what I quoted him. Made a pretty penny on that(and still undercharged probably). The important thing is he was satisfied with my work and he got what he wanted. So if he decides he wants to give extra than I won't say no. I think it's nice just to please the person that's gonna be using my product, the rest is just a bonus, kinda their way of saying thanks. 

Be proud she appreciated your art, and showed it. 

There will always be people who won't.

Just say 'Thank you' and leave it at that. Making any more fuss will only embarrass one or both of you

Learn from this, and maybe charge a bit more in future

Tips are icing on the cake. That just means the person recognized you were not trying to take advantage and appreciated the piece, IMHO. Just hope the check clears. lol.

In my opinion...

If your quoting prices that you feel are making you fair profit for your time and expense and you are happy with the profit I see no problems here. If some of your customers think you work is worth more than quoted and pay you more, even better. I see even less of a problem. It can only lead to better things and it's far better than having customers think they were overcharged.

That being said, I see a lot of beginners to a business, not even necessarily a leather business, only consider the cost of materials when making a product. They only realize 6-8 months down the road when they start getting some volume in orders that they didn't account for their time. Don't forget, you're employee number one of your leather business and as such should be paid an hourly wage that you deem is fair.

Thanks folks. I know I charge less that I should. My confidence in what I can do is pretty high. But I LOVE the challenge of a new project, to me it can be more fun figuring it all out how it all works than the actual hands on the leather. I see it as getting paid to play (Not to mention I have a pattern to use the next time !) in addition I kind of think of it as an honor being asked to make something form some ones idea funneled through my imagination and given birth to the world from my hands. 

It is an complement being given more than I asked and going forward I think it will be few and far between. I will think of it as a kernel of pride for when I hear "I can get it on the net cheaper!".

I use a lot of scrap making little things for people bracelets, key fobs, pencil slips and the like. Small things that keep my hands at work, practice and I love the look in someone's face when I hand them a personalized item. I work with a lot of folks that are disabled in one way or another or in recovery of some form. Many of them have little of nothing else to be proud of. Maybe I should look at this tip thing as a form of karma ( And not the advertising, "Tell your friends and family where you got it."). 

It's nice to hear from people who ....

Get it.

Know how hard, challenging, frustrating, rage inducing, lonely, expensive, stinky, messy and literally painful this art form can be. Also know how fun, pride inducing, powerful, practical, meditative, fantastical, whimsical, magical and in my case necessary it is to make things with our own hands. To lave a small thing that may be here as well be of use  when we are dust. Make something loving cherished or relayed on daily so much it is forgotten.

Know the small joy of a straight stitch line. Or the cringe inducing sight of an awl mark in the corner. People who see the work, not just the dollar signs.

Grumpy