I made the smaller pouch as a trial yesterday ...all hand stitched...and today i made the larger one as a hip/belt or shoulder  bag fort my wallet ,phone and keys . The larger bag was machined stitched  with #138 thread on my CB 4500. The smaller one was meant as a coin or card/cash colder. I used a cheap 4mm set of pricking irons ($20) and #138 bonded nylon thread that i am using in my sewing machines.

Any comments are more then welcome

Thank you ! 

18889186_113924802537562_5852779851546624000_n.jpg

18889022_1823571141294097_5816915203882745856_n.jpg

18879284_311504529287224_2430127354031374336_n.jpg

18879387_1901608180063004_6932864229846286336_n.jpg

Edited by LeatherLegion

Looks good but why the hand stitch on the small one? How does the large bag attach to belt loops or ????Love the buckle on the belt.

2 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

why the hand stitch on the small one?

I am trying to start hand stitching most of my products from now on and i am practicing every time i have a chance on small items. I am waiting on a set of Wuta irons in 3.85mm as the cheap ones i have tend to break the leather a bit 

2 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

How does the large bag attach to belt loops or ????

The larger bag has 2 rings  on the upper corners to attach a strap ...or attach it to 2 belt loops... I am working on the belt lops 

Here is a better picture of the buckle you liked

11848858_973993225980248_1455917292_n.jpg

Edited by LeatherLegion

Interesting design

One thing I'd do is to end the cut line of the front panel with a cricular hole, to reduce strain on that part

5 hours ago, LeatherLegion said:

I am trying to start hand stitching most of my products from now on and i am practicing every time i have a chance on small items. I am waiting on a set of Wuta irons in 3.85mm as the cheap ones i have tend to break the leather a bit 

OK. I would find it difficult to see how the sale value would return the effort but if your getting the work enough that's all that matters in the end. Have you tried Schmetz LR needles in the 4500? You can get a heavy left right saddle look if that's what your chasing. Thanks for the better buckle picture. I think it would look nice with croc except I'd have to change the tongue for a rounded shape one.The flat ones are murder on the holes and the last thing I like is getting a belt back to be fixed up. Regards Brian

9 hours ago, LeatherLegion said:

today i made the larger one as a hip/belt or shoulder  bag fort my wallet ,phone and keys .

Very nice design!

Great concept! .......Wish I had thought of it. 

Mind if I borrow it?

On 6/7/2017 at 10:48 AM, Grumpymann said:

Mind if I borrow it?

The gusset concept it's not mine...i borrow it too...so go ahead...lol...

Gatta know. How do you keep the bottom of the gusset closed?

42 minutes ago, Grumpymann said:

Gatta know. How do you keep the bottom of the gusset closed?

I should be making another one ,similar in design  , one of these days and  i will post few "work in progress" type of pictures

8 hours ago, LeatherLegion said:

I should be making another one ,similar in design  , one of these days and  i will post few "work in progress" type of pictures

Thanks!

I haven't been around much during the past couple of years but I must say that I have always appreciated your work.  I really like the design of both bags and do appreciate your desire to get into hand stitching.  Sean Dalgetti at Tundra Leather (Hamilton) is an amazing leatherworker and could really help you with tips along the way.  

Looking at the small bag, I would recommend that rather than ending your stitch line before the opening, go up and around the top with both threads which essentially closes the two pieces of leather together.    

I just might try to make one up, myself!

Thanks for sharing!

Here's a pic of what I mean.

image.jpeg

2 hours ago, Basically Bob said:

Here's a pic of what I mean.

Bob..the picture you posted shows a different design...but i think i know what you meant,

Yup, different design for sure ... just wanted to show that stitch holding down the top piece.

Here is an improved version of the smaller pouch. I added a card pocket on the back , made the flap longer adding a pocket on the inside too. 

All hand stitched using #138 thread and the new set of Wuta irons ( 3.85mm) i got few weeks ago. Any critiques  especially regarding my stitching are appreciated 

Thank you !

19228920_1507114689311645_3834421307219378176_n.jpg

19379289_224139228105720_6427059808435699712_n.jpg

19379528_197045150824051_7904588580427661312_n.jpg

I put this together really quick to illustrate my suggestion.  IMHO you should be closing up the top of the gussets and nailing down the top of the pocket patches.  The top stitch line shows how the gussets could be closed up.  The bottom stich line shows how you would accomplish the same thing with a pocket or patch. image.jpeg.872692bc873e734acb31515f102133ce.jpeg

On 07/06/2017 at 4:49 AM, RockyAussie said:

OK. I would find it difficult to see how the sale value would return the effort but if your getting the work enough that's all that matters in the end. Have you tried Schmetz LR needles in the 4500? You can get a heavy left right saddle look if that's what your chasing. Thanks for the better buckle picture. I think it would look nice with croc except I'd have to change the tongue for a rounded shape one.The flat ones are murder on the holes and the last thing I like is getting a belt back to be fixed up. Regards Brian

My brand has hand stitched every product from A to Z since day 1 and in fact, it has been a massive competitive advantage.  If you're not concerned with the longevity of the product, then machines are the way to go, but if you are looking for the strongest and long lasting stitch possible, you're completely right to go with hand stitching.  Not to mention the stitch looks beautiful on the front as well as the back!

The only thing I would suggest is to see if you like the look of the edges being finished on this one.  I think it's going to enhance the aesthetic and properly sealing/ waxing/ painting/ polishing the edge will help keep the oils in the leather healthy and looking new for longer.

Nice work!

I really like the top bag design. Great work!

4 hours ago, Basically Bob said:

I put this together really quick to illustrate my suggestion.  IMHO you should be closing up the top of the gussets and nailing down the top of the pocket patches.  The top stitch line shows how the gussets could be closed up.  The bottom stich line shows how you would accomplish the same thing with a pocket or patch. image.jpeg.872692bc873e734acb31515f102133ce.jpeg

Ok...i got it now...lol...a picture is worth a thousand words. Thanks again !!!

Really nice work. I like the bigger bag best. The texture is awesome. I like Bob's suggestion for the stitch completion as opposed to just stopping. I think burnished edges would "next level" these bags per Lajoie's suggestion. Also for me I would want something a little more robust to tie it to my belt. I'm hard on things, plus I ride a motorcycle.

The way Bob has shown to do the sewing at the top edge puts less strain on the top hole of the leather. I've seen items sewn with the thread not like that and the first couple of holes have torn like perforations on the edge of a stamp

4 hours ago, AZNightwolf said:

I think burnished edges would "next level" these bags per Lajoie's suggestion.

Because of the distressed look of the leather used for the larger bag , i thought leaving the edges unburnished  will look better