Hey all, this is our latest project on the board. It is our own take from a Tom Boyce (tboyce) design Medium Messenger Bag: 

We still have a few things left on it, but thought I would show what we have done so far.

The bag itself is 3mm Full Grain Upholstery Leather supplied by a local Brisbane distributor Eastcoast Leather that we have sealed and run a couple of light coats of Dark Brown Stain over it and resealed again.

We have put in a Kangaroo leather pouch on the inside, and we are using snake skin inlays for the handle and along the bottom of the front flap (still have that bit to do). We are also going to be changing from one buckle to two buckles for aesthetic looks. We haven't gotten to that stage yet, but almost there.

All this is hand stitched using brown waxed braid thread.

We are sort of winging it as we go, but I hope you enjoy, I will keep updating as we are going forward. 

Cheers Damien

IMG_0255.jpg

IMG_0265.jpg

IMG_0266.jpg

IMG_0270.jpg

IMG_0272.jpg

IMG_0280.jpg

IMG_0281.jpg

Looking good so far.

Couple of addons already, Still need to stitch the front of the bag on and the snake buckle inlay. But gives an idea on how it will look. I have got brass fitting to go with this so it should match in nicely.

IMG_0282.jpg

IMG_0287.jpg

3 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

Looking good so far.

Thanks Bikermutt.

Never tried anything like this before, as said we are modifying the design as we go to make it more our own, But the front, gusset and back/front flap are all as per Tom's plan.  

Lookin good so far mate.Not sure if you are thinking of putting the last stitch in at the top of the gusset just over the edge onto the top/lid but if your not going all the way around I would recommend doing so. I only mention it as I have seen a few projects lately that are not doing that for some reason.Brian

26 minutes ago, RockyAussie said:

Lookin good so far mate.Not sure if you are thinking of putting the last stitch in at the top of the gusset just over the edge onto the top/lid but if your not going all the way around I would recommend doing so. I only mention it as I have seen a few projects lately that are not doing that for some reason.Brian

Thanks Brian,

Yeah we are going to finish that off, Still deciding if we will stitch all the way around the front flap though or leave it un-stitched. Leaning towards stitching all the way around though.

Also still have to finish the edges as well.

Looks very nice Damien!  I have a question about the inlaid handle - how durable do you think the snakeskin inlay will be when constantly being gripped tightly when carrying the case?  I have never used snakeskin, but seems it is more often used like you used it on the front flap, where it will not see much wear and tear from handling.

I look forward to seeing the completed project and thanks for sharing the step by step photos!

36 minutes ago, garypl said:

Thanks garypl

Looks very nice Damien!  I have a question about the inlaid handle - how durable do you think the snakeskin inlay will be when constantly being gripped tightly when carrying the case?  I have never used snakeskin, but seems it is more often used like you used it on the front flap, where it will not see much wear and tear from handling.

I look forward to seeing the completed project and thanks for sharing the step by step photos!

The handle is pretty solid so shouldn't wear much at all. I have twisted and bent the handle different ways, and it is holding up well, the snake has also been laid so as the scales are left to right so will bend with the handle. It still needs to be stitched in and a backing put on as well. Thankfully it is a gift for my mum, so if it does wear to much I can fix it for her. Will keep the pics coming for sure 

Edited by AussieMade

Thanks Damien - again, really nice work!

Next update:

Handle is stitched in place all buckles are attached and front snake section is stitched and completed.

We still need to stitch the front on, but are waiting on a couple of swivel snaps to attach the shoulder strap so it can be removed if required, then we can stitch the D-shields in.  All D's and buckles are brass with gold rivets (only 10mm long rivets we had in stock) The gem on the front is a glass Gemini Constellation Cabochon for my mum.

Hopefully we can have it finished by the weekend again so I can post the final pics :( . 

Any feedback is recommended.

IMG_0307.jpg

IMG_0308.jpg

IMG_0309.jpg

IMG_0312.jpg

IMG_0313.jpg

IMG_0314.jpg

That looks great!!!

17 minutes ago, Windrider30 said:

That looks great!!!

Thanks. Can't wait to see what my mum thinks of it. She has only seen a few starting pictures, And the design has changed a bit since then.

3 hours ago, AussieMade said:

Thanks. Can't wait to see what my mum thinks of it. She has only seen a few starting pictures, And the design has changed a bit since then.

She will love it mate!!