lomfs24

Edge dying

How do you dye your edges? I saw a video on youtube and he used Edge Kote before he dyed the leather. He dyed both the front and the back. 

Do you use Edge Kote prior to dying? Why wouldn't you just use dye on the edge? I could see using a different color dye or Edge Kote if you wanted the edge to be a darker/different color, but if you want it all the same why couldn't you use dye on the edge? 

11 minutes ago, lomfs24 said:

How do you dye your edges? I saw a video on youtube and he used Edge Kote before he dyed the leather. He dyed both the front and the back. 

Do you use Edge Kote prior to dying? Why wouldn't you just use dye on the edge? I could see using a different color dye or Edge Kote if you wanted the edge to be a darker/different color, but if you want it all the same why couldn't you use dye on the edge? 

Personally, I have always used dye to finish my edges as when I started out with leather work there wasn't things like Edge Kote and such.  I have tried Edge Kote and found that the finished look is not what I am looking for (I want my edges to be shiny after I burnish them as that what is what attracts a customers eye to it) so I do all of my edge dyeing before I actually burnish them.  To make sure that I get a good shine and burnished finish I dampen the edges and burnish them until they are slick and smooth; I then apply some of my homemade conditioner and rub it in real good until it gives a dull finish.  My final step is to burnish the edges again to their final shiny look.  No machines, grinders, or anything else; just Old School techniques that have proven themselves time and time again.

The one trick that many don't seem to catch is that when you are using dyes as your edge finish you need to burn off the extra fuzz on your dauber so that you get a tight applicator that won't wrap over the edges of where you are trying to apply the dye.  To burn it off just light it on fire and let it slowly burn down until it is about the size of a pea; knock out the flame and rub off all of the ash.  You will now have a small applicator head that is tightly packed and can easily be controlled.

Thanks for the tips. I'll give it a try on my next project. Or maybe as I am reworking my current one. 

This is my little process.

Sand an bevel edges. If it has fuzzies I burn those.

I use dye for the edges. Even if my dye color is diluted I use full strength on the edge. I apply it with a small firm angled paint brush. I put the piece against the edge of my work bench and use my bottom two fingers along the edge of my desk for a guide.

The leather will suck up the dye. If it presents more fuzzies lightly sand it and let it set for a few minutes. Then singe the fuzzies again the dye will dry quickly. 

Apply a second coat of dye. Then I went it with a little glycerine soap and rub the bar lightly into the edge.

Let it set for a few minutes.

Then I finish the edge with a light application of tokonole applied with the same brush. Let it set for about 5 minutes. Then rub it.

It will shine up pretty nice like that.

Edited by bikermutt07

Just finished edge coating 50 or so running feet on a small production job. Yesterday, I purchased the desk top roller from my local Tandy store and it does a great job! I didn't have one smear in all the edges I dis using Edge Coat. There are commercial items so I can't afford to get perfectly burnished shiney edges, but the edge coat does cover the 4 layers (2 veg tan and 2 suede) nicely and when I use my cocobolo burnisher, produces acceptable results. All my products are wet formed AFTER stitching so the edges can be a bit rough. I use a belt sander then the new desktop roller and voila! A little touch up with a Q-tip and I'm done. 

Bob

On 6/10/2017 at 6:50 PM, NVLeatherWorx said:

Personally, I have always used dye to finish my edges as when I started out with leather work there wasn't things like Edge Kote and such.  I have tried Edge Kote and found that the finished look is not what I am looking for (I want my edges to be shiny after I burnish them as that what is what attracts a customers eye to it) so I do all of my edge dyeing before I actually burnish them.  To make sure that I get a good shine and burnished finish I dampen the edges and burnish them until they are slick and smooth; I then apply some of my homemade conditioner and rub it in real good until it gives a dull finish.  My final step is to burnish the edges again to their final shiny look.  No machines, grinders, or anything else; just Old School techniques that have proven themselves time and time again.

The one trick that many don't seem to catch is that when you are using dyes as your edge finish you need to burn off the extra fuzz on your dauber so that you get a tight applicator that won't wrap over the edges of where you are trying to apply the dye.  To burn it off just light it on fire and let it slowly burn down until it is about the size of a pea; knock out the flame and rub off all of the ash.  You will now have a small applicator head that is tightly packed and can easily be controlled.

Another option is to leave your daubers filled with dye and let them dry.  They become hard, and then you can put a little groove in them that's perfect for making clean edges on your leather projects.  Burning the dauber definitely helps speed the process up.  Also, you must dab the dauber on a towel or paper before applying to your edge or you'll get a nasty drip or over flow that kills your clean edge.  You can see my video about professional looking edges here, http://www.learnleather.com/shop/edge-finishing/

11986404_1627219637544098_6943217686797264417_n.jpg

Some folks like the idea of a contrasting edge color, but using a different color of dye may get odd results due to the way leather soaks up fluids. Edge Coat isn't a dye as such, it's more of a paint, and is designed to stick to the surface rather than soak in. It also dries to a kind of rubbery consistency, and if you have a very steady hand, you might be able to get away with not doing anything else to the edge, so it can save time in production.

It also resists wear a little better than a standard edge, so something that's going to get rubbed or bashed around a lot may benefit from it. Belt edges are a good example, since pulling them through the belt loops and through the buckle wears on the edge after a while.

52 minutes ago, immiketoo said:

Another option is to leave your daubers filled with dye and let them dry.  They become hard, and then you can put a little groove in them that's perfect for making clean edges on your leather projects.  Burning the dauber definitely helps speed the process up.  Also, you must dab the dauber on a towel or paper before applying to your edge or you'll get a nasty drip or over flow that kills your clean edge.  You can see my video about professional looking edges here, http://www.learnleather.com/shop/edge-finishing/

11986404_1627219637544098_6943217686797264417_n.jpg

You beat me to it immiketoo. That is exactly what I do and it works great.

Not much to add except to say that I have found that the wooden handled swabs like you see in your doctor's office work great for edge dying. They hold just the right amount of dye for me, are easy to control, and are relatively inexpensive.