Snapped a couple quick photos of a prototype design I worked on today. It's a valet tray that folds into a closed pouch. Carries your items to the destination, and gives you a nice place to put them when you get there. Being a prototype, I spared the good leather and used some remnants I had from a leather couch I re-upholstered. I'm really liking the design though, so I'll probably make a few small tweaks to the pattern and then make one from some Horween Essex.

8jEnZyI.jpg

rFqwbHp.jpg

RnxiZSi.jpg

What do you guys think?

Love it. I travel a lot for business, something like this would definitely be handy. 

I was just gonna say it would be good for superintendents and contractors (I'm sure other people in many lines of work) that travel a lot and stay in extended stay type hotels and such. It folds up real easy so u could toss it in your suitcase or glovebox or whatever and have it ready when you get where your staying. Good idea!

I love things that are multifunctional! This would be great in different sizes too and for cosmetic/toiletries.

That's brilliant!  I can see a lot of use for something like that.  I too spend a LOT of time in hotels and this would be a very nice addition to my travel bag.

Sweet idea man....consider it stolen! 

That is a great, practical idea!  

I would have found that very useful in my days as a business traveller.

Thanks all! Because of the positive response this design has gotten, I decided to tweak the design and make one from some proper leather (Horween Essex, 4-5oz). Here are some photos of the work in progress:

I don't have a stitching pony, and this piece was too big for my binder clip method, so I had to rig up a clamping device to hold these pieces together. It actually works pretty well for the whole 5 mins of work that went into making it.

0y071TO.jpg

A few photos of the pieces sewn together. Hoping to add the snaps and burnish the edges tonight! I'm more excited to finish this piece than any of my previous work.

9SrrD1G.jpg

HDseQpV.jpg

vqh0aL6.jpg

MD6ia3N.jpg

Awesome 

Excited to see the end product, too! Thanks for the in process pics, always curious to see how it's done : )

Final Product:

pY3FcEX.jpg

FGzqSNy.jpg

DSC_0079_zpsukjkfkre.jpg

DSC_0082_zpsdj1omr50.jpg

DSC_0083_zpsq59l6hfn.jpg

DSC_0084_zpsz8xkmbyj.jpg

Edited by andrewsejlv

Nice work!

Bloody excellent.

Kickstarter that.

Edited by Wedgetail
Suggestion

Great looking tray.  Nice Laser job!

9 hours ago, Wedgetail said:

Bloody excellent.

Kickstarter that.

Oh, for the love of god, Don't.   I must have 5 guys a week come into my shop with "minimalist wallets"  and "valet trays".   They're the hot new thing.  And each of them are on kickstarter, gofundme, etsy, and all the other sites.  STIFF competition right now.  

What would I suggest?  Beard Comb Wallets.  Seriously.  selling like crazy, people can't make em fast enough.   Get some stainless steel combs lasered and make some "authentic" leather covers for them.  All. Day. Long. 

Edited by SolarLeatherMachines

And at $5 each, can't even buy the leather for that amount.

YinTx

Says the minimum order is 100? Or did I see that wrong. Lol. 

That's true, but too much for me haha. I think I'd rather make my own or get one from Andrew anyway haha. As you said, I'm not sure you can trust "veg tant" leather 

What part of the cow is the tant?

3 hours ago, alpha2 said:

What part of the cow is the tant?

The part between... well... lets just say it usually doesnt see much barb wire...

On 3/21/2018 at 7:45 AM, nstarleather said:

Saw this thread last week when looking for a valet tray design.  Thought "man that's unique and cool"....

Apparently somebody else did as well!  Somebody on Alibaba copied it!

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/High-Quality-Logo-Embossed-Leather-Valet_60605546224.html

I guess I shouldn't be surprised... 

I think I've got more money in thread and burnishing compound on my tray than they are charging for theirs, lol.

7 hours ago, andrewsejlv said:

I guess I shouldn't be surprised... 

I think I've got more money in thread and burnishing compound on my tray than they are charging for theirs, lol.

I guess there is one or 2 things here to consider.Did they get the idea from looking on LW ? I hope they did as that may mean they are reading this now and along with their deceptive advertising regarding the " Cow leather/Italian veg tant cow hides " the construction change with the spring clips means they have elected to use will unclip at a very annoying rate. Aesthetically I think it looks better but in service it will lose appeal very quickly. I would promote the original as REAL + ORIGINAL along with all of the better points. Shame on Tantat Piece company for not offering some credit to @andrewsejlv

Love the concept and execution! 

The pieces you made are very well done. Great job!

On 8/4/2018 at 8:26 PM, Sceaden said:

Love the concept and execution! 

Thanks!

On 8/4/2018 at 8:44 PM, ScoobyNewbie said:

The pieces you made are very well done. Great job!

Thank you!