I agree with Dwight, a small slotted concho with a strap and bleed knot, like a saddle string, would secure it, not damage the pistol, and not look out of place.

21 hours ago, 1961Mike said:

The holster practically jumps out of the strap when I draw it.  How do you avoid that on this style holster?  

Hey Mike, 

Skipping "how to fix the one you already built" and jumping to "how to avoid this on the next one", it's helpful to define the problem. Likely created by 2 things; 1) less than ideal leather and 2) tight holster/loose strap.

While it's true that good quality leather is always better I can personally attest to having the same issue and I use Hermann Oak sides exclusively and I don't make holsters from belly leather. The looser your holster is on the pistol and the tighter your strap or loop is on the holster the less this is an issue. You can also "bump" out the main seam to help hold it in there.

My favorite "fail safe" solution, that I always do so this issue never pops up on me again because I really don't like it, is I put a bleed knot from the back side of the holster body, through the skirt and then the holster can't pull up through the loop.

You can see this in the pic below. 

All the best, Josh

IMG_20210225_075737603.thumb.jpg.87dd395e3b2f0b5d25cce03d6698600a.jpg

my dad had one years ago, what they did was run the leather thong that ties around your leg through the toe and the back flap.

HI

Thanks everyone.  I was looking for the whole how to make this work next time.  I already have some Hermann Oak 9 ounce shoulder leather to use on the next ones.  I also have a Slim Jim about half done that will be lined and had a loop that is tight on the cartridge belt.  I may try the Concho and strap idea just so I know how to do it.  CASCity mentioned using a Chicago Screw to attach the holster to the skirt. 

The holster pattern doesn't lend itself to bumping out the holster like in a Mexican loop setup unfortunately. 

Thanks

Edited by 1961Mike
added info

On 6/19/2017 at 10:00 AM, Josh Ashman said:

Thanks Fred!

I rolled through some old pictures and found a few more examples. Here is one that is a little more "period correct". It's a single layer with a laced mainseam. 

1233441_552995351420239_885608941_n.jpg.9a7d33d8c513a35f4f9832ccd97172db.jpg

Here is one that is lined. As you can see the skirt and loop edges are all sewn. It's been a while since I built this one, but as I recall it was a real PITA to get stuffed through the loop. It didn't help that it was super short and I had the cartridge belt loop so tight. 

735661_621982311188209_135718954_o.thumb.jpg.ebeb3a06a5efb0b8bb773a20e295998a.jpg

You can build them however you like. 

Josh, awesome work.  What style of lacing did you use on the top holster?  

Thanks

Steve

Hey Steve, man it's been a while since I saw those pictures! The rig on the top went to my dad so I occasionally see it, it's almost black with time and wear now :)! I don't know what they actually call that style of lacing, but it's what Stohlman shows in his "holster making" book as close as I can copy it. He goes over awl stabbing technique, lace prep, the whole deal. I think the only thing I did that I'm not sure if he mentions is once I have the lace all done I wet it down with a sponge then smack it with a smooth face hammer on my tooling block to get it all evened out. I also use oil tan chap leather to cut the lace, or at least that's what I did on that rig. Sometimes I'll use latigo if I have it and it's about the right weight. 

All the best, Josh

This is a great thread, if only because of the pictures.  I've got some books on western gun leather and I like looking at them.  But I'm one of those "once you've seen it" guys.  I can't get enough of new and different twists on the same theme.  This is great, and you folks do great work.

15 hours ago, Josh Ashman said:

Hey Steve, man it's been a while since I saw those pictures! The rig on the top went to my dad so I occasionally see it, it's almost black with time and wear now :)! I don't know what they actually call that style of lacing, but it's what Stohlman shows in his "holster making" book as close as I can copy it. He goes over awl stabbing technique, lace prep, the whole deal. I think the only thing I did that I'm not sure if he mentions is once I have the lace all done I wet it down with a sponge then smack it with a smooth face hammer on my tooling block to get it all evened out. I also use oil tan chap leather to cut the lace, or at least that's what I did on that rig. Sometimes I'll use latigo if I have it and it's about the right weight. 

All the best, Josh

Hey Josh, thanks for the information.  I have the Stohlman holster making book.  Your completed rig provides a much better example of the completed technique.

On 12/31/2020 at 2:25 PM, RobP said:

Here's is a closer look. Rob

IMG_0896.JPG

IMG_0894 2.JPG

Oh. My. Gosh!! This is my next holster to 'copy/mimic/pay homage to/plagiarize.'

I never could get the skirt to lay as flat as I wanted, these may just be the pictures I needed to see!