tossik

Any ideas what rotary edge paint tool is used in this video?

Take a look at this video, the maker is using an interesting rotary edge paint applicator, any ideas where I can find one?

Also, what glue do you guys think he is using? Looks very fluid, and I am looking for something strong yet watery. Thanks!

There seems to be a lot of these with a little different configurations "Out there".

I have three or four different applicators, a couple just like the Tandy that I received free. The tapered Tandy style is the best in my opinion.

I can do the edges of a complete dog harness in 20 minutes or less, that is one application of material. I do a sealer plus two coats of finish.

I do not use the heated edge units. I think my edges are as good or better than some I have seen done with them.

Just my .02

Ferg

Any ideas on the glue used for the strap? looks very watered down. I like that as I have only contact cement and sometimes it is just too thick.

I use contact cement also, its the only glue I use and the way I make it thinner is to use a cement thinner that you buy from Tandy. I use a mixture of 65/35 and this makes the cement very nice and thin.

5 hours ago, tearghost said:

I use contact cement also, its the only glue I use and the way I make it thinner is to use a cement thinner that you buy from Tandy. I use a mixture of 65/35 and this makes the cement very nice and thin.

Interesting, never thought about thinning contact cement. I will have to give it a shot. Thanks!

22 hours ago, fredk said:

I've got one of those, and it works rather well.   As to the one in the vid, I've never seen one like that.   Very fancy.

I guess for something that is thick other than alcohol-based dye these things would work I just don't see them working on any type of thin dye.  My current method works for me (chunk of heavy felt  clamped in forceps) but they are intriguing! Curious to know if they work with thinner media?

The tool used looks like one from a French company Eprose. You can see it here: http://www.eprose.fr/hand-use-pen-kit-for-dying-edges.html 

They have some great tools but are pricey.

Kevin

On 2017-6-14 at 10:35 PM, Sanch said:

I guess for something that is thick other than alcohol-based dye these things would work I just don't see them working on any type of thin dye.  My current method works for me (chunk of heavy felt  clamped in forceps) but they are intriguing! Curious to know if they work with thinner media?

For edge dyes I use those empty 1" markers that graffiti artists enjoy. Very accurate and not messy.

1 hour ago, Matt S said:

For edge dyes I use those empty 1" markers that graffiti artists enjoy. Very accurate and not messy.

Yea I've been looking at them thanks!

16 hours ago, klstclair said:

The tool used looks like one from a French company Eprose. You can see it here: http://www.eprose.fr/hand-use-pen-kit-for-dying-edges.html 

They have some great tools but are pricey.

Kevin

Can't see anything great with this tool that defend a price of 430 Euros. You can almost buy a small Italian powered edge paint machine for that price :)

1 hour ago, Trox said:

Can't see anything great with this tool that defend a price of 430 Euros. You can almost buy a small Italian powered edge paint machine for that price :)

They want $100 for an edge beveller. That's a good chunk of the way towards a bluegrass edge machine.

My guess as to the glue is some type of water-based Renia, perhaps Aquilim GL, SG or 315. It might also be Saregum 130.

They use thinned white glue, it's water based. And can be mixed with colors etc.

Edited by Trox

$480 for a stick?! What are they on! I mean yeah it looks cool but seriously? and all the extra tips are like $90 each. Like others have mentioned, I can get a lot of other fun toys that justify their cost.

Thanks for the tips on the glue used there though. I want a thin alternative to the weldwood I use now.

I have found that RM Leather Supply carries one that looks almost identical to the Eprose one at a fraction of the cost. You can see it here: https://www.rmleathersupply.com/collections/tools/products/edge-paint-roller. At $24.99 it is a lot more affordable to try it out.

Enjoy,

Kevin

Edited by klstclair

On 11/17/2017 at 9:19 PM, klstclair said:

I have found that RM Leather Supply carries one that looks almost identical to the Eprose one at a fraction of the cost.

Is this just a knurled bushing on a rotating shaft? These should be dime a dozen.

Edited by DrmCa

On 18/11/2017 at 3:05 AM, niakulah said:

10 dollars here. 9.50 for 2 on the app :lol:

PGFDouble head replacing metal wire mesh edge oil, pen style leather carving tool
http://s.aliexpress.com/6VbYJbmu
(from AliExpress Android)

That looks a very posh one for $10.

8 hours ago, LumpenDoodle2 said:

That looks a very posh one for $10.

I use a pencil.