wendlynne

Wendy has Singer 97-10 questions AGAIN =)

Singer 97-10 Fun! You guys are so patient  and helpful, so thank you. 

I'm having some trouble with the needles I've been using with the 97-10, I've got the schmetz 794 series that are 1/4" shorter than the original needles and I ground off 1/4" of the shank so I slip that up in the needle guide holder and it works pretty well. However, the groove/channel for the thread is MUCH shorter (on both sides), and that causes occasional problems when you're in thicker leather. I have a friend who ground out a little channel in his needle guide for the thread to lay in for that issue, but it's still not QUITE right. Also, occasionally when you're in cheap, tough vegtan it will pop out of the holder because it doesn't grip it as well. So then your needle gets stuck in the leather and pops out of the holder, so not quite ideal. 

I know the singer 1000 series needles are also supposed to work - are they the same as the 794? I can't seem to find specs on them that give the depth of the thread channel to see if it will work a bit smoother than the 794s, but some old threads here say they're 1/8" shorter rather than 1/4" so I'm hoping the channel is a bit longer. 

Can anyone confirm who has some on hand? Attached is a comparison photo for scale. Yes I do have some OEM needles but not a lot, and I like to use a slightly smaller needle than what I have on hand in OEMs. And yes, I know the needles are no longer made, etc., but I got a great deal on this machine and love the old beast. I'd rather find a way to make her work than retire her. 

THANK YOU! 

Singer-97-10-needle-.gif

I'm not @ the shop & can back to you tomorrow w/a measurement since we have them in stock.If I remember correctly they are 3&1/4" long.

What about a 331LR, as used in the Pearson/BUSM 6 and Landis 1? They are about a 1/8" shank and 3" long.

Oh,one thing about the 1000h is they only come in a round point,the 331LR only comes in a twisted leather point.

Oh wow, if you think that would work I don't mind a twisted leather point at all. I think it looks pretty! 

So you think those both would work, shank-size wise? I'll give you a ring tomorrow Bob, thank you so so much!