Shaft0463

Singer Class 7 for a newbie?

I'm not new to sewing machines in general (have done a good amount of quitllting and dress making for fun), but this beast is a bit of a different monster.  It was rebuilt, the serial number indicates it was made in 1904, and it's not pretty.  Supposedly it was found quite rusted in a barn but was repaired and used for chaps and belts.

I found the manual, but honestly I'm a bit overwhelmed.  I can thread it, I think I've figure out how to remove the bobbin, and I know I need to get some smallest needles for my projects.  I know that these old machines need to be oiled regularly, but I forgot to ask how to do that.  I can't tell from the manual how to oil it.  I also need to clean it as it's a bit dirty in some of its moving parts, but I'm not sure how to do that.  The timing may need to be adjusted as it skips a stitch occasionally, but unless that's easy to do I will find somewhere to take it.

Any tips for using it?  I'm hoping to do a little work with biothane/beta (personal items, not large quantities), a little tack and blanket repair, and maybe some belts.  Who knows what else.

00y0y_7KWK5FNrSNd_600x450.jpg

Well you have 4 post in here, but I suspect someone will combine them.  I clean mine with a tooth brush and some Zep Foaming Degreaser, I found that works well.  If you take it apart a section at a time and clean it then put it back together that helps you from forgetting how it all goes back. Once you get most of the dirt and grease off you get some steel wool and some fine sandpaper like 400-600 grit and just start working in sections.  I take the head apart and clean all that but I don't take it out the main shafts.  With a little effort they clean up very nice. 

The skipped stiches could be just an old needle.  Replace it and see if that helps.  When you say "get smaller needles"  they really don't get small for this machine.    

IMG_4867.JPG.2cdbf069695a0258c621996a72075859.JPGIMG_4871.JPG.0ad1daedc83994df1409bd3301195c56.JPG

Btw..it is pretty..all sewing machines are pretty, in their own way..just like all women are pretty.

4 hours ago, Shaft0463 said:

I'm not new to sewing machines in general (have done a good amount of quitllting and dress making for fun), but this beast is a bit of a different monster.  It was rebuilt, the serial number indicates it was made in 1904, and it's not pretty.  Supposedly it was found quite rusted in a barn but was repaired and used for chaps and belts.

Just a quick comment about posting.  Please don't keep hitting the post button.  Just hit it once, then wait for the internet and server to respond.  That will help to avoid multiple posts.  This is especially important when you are on a slow connection, or the internet traffic is high, or the server is busy with other members.

I deleted the multiple posts.

Tom

Sorry for the multiple posts.  I was on my phone, and it was double posting while giving me error messages that it wouldn't post.  I tried to go back and delete the duplicates, but it wouldn't let me.  No more phone posting.

By smaller needles I meant something smaller than a 27 (what's in there now).  I read in the manual that 27 was the largest size, but I don't need the thread that heavy.  Biothane is #99 thread, so smaller needles.  Has anyone used one of these for biothane/beta?

Where and how do I oil it?  Any online info on basic use that has some pics that are easier to see than those in the manual?  I've spent a few hours searching but I haven't found a whole lot worthwhile.  I don't want to tear it up.

Basically every place there is a joint, or turns.  Here is an bad manual that points to just about every part haha.  Typically any place you see a hole or a tiny brass lid oil goes in there.  

http://parts.singerco.com/IPinstManuals/7 CLASS 2 NDLS.pdf

I can post some pics tomorrow, I have to shrink them so they are small enough to post.  

Edited by Yetibelle