I made a sheath for an old Japanese sushi knife I rediscovered buried in my kitchen drawer.  I spent 3 hours honing the blade to remove nicks it had from banging around the drawer unprotected.  I gave the knife to my son and decided it needed a sheath to protect the blade and keep his fingers safe when grabbing the knife from the drawer.

I used two layers of 4-5 oz veg tan and used the same leather for the welts.  Put a small piece of pigskin inside to cover the snap and keep it from rubbing against the blade.

i'm still learning how to use my Cowboy CB4500 and I have to get better keeping my stitches an even distance around the edges.  I used the roller edge guide for the first time and it worked well, but I had to hold the sheath up a bit to keep the piece level due to the uneven backside caused by the strap.

I sealed the dye with resolene then applied two coats of a homemade mix consisting of beeswax, carnuba, neetsfoot oil, and lanolin.  Heated the leather with a hairdryer to melt the wax in and buffed it out.

I appreciate any feedback!

IMG_0160.JPG.20da2872d8bc04274d9dfbb8a60e7e4c.JPGIMG_0161.JPG.a5f5e9cca2f009760bdf4df6c056349a.JPGIMG_0162.JPG.a8be69d7ea532d995ab36a638a5194b7.JPG

It looks very nice  :spoton:

Stamping looks nicely done and quite quiet

yes, it is a pity about the stitching wandering a wee bit but its a hand made sheath after all :)

Great job.

Wow such a beauteafull work, congrats guys that a talent!

Thanks everyone!  

Fred, I appreciate your comment on the stitching - I have to remember that being hand made means one of a kind and if you look hard enough you almost always will find a flaw.  Looking at all of the great looking projects posted in this forum encourages me to keep improving the quality of my projects.

3 hours ago, garypl said:

Thanks everyone!  

Fred, I appreciate your comment on the stitching - I have to remember that being hand made means one of a kind and if you look hard enough you almost always will find a flaw.

Who says it is a flaw?  It is a unique characteristic of an item that is handmade, not produced in some sweat shop with 10,000 other look alike items.

rick

Good point Rick!  I will be happy as long as I continue to improve my techniques and quality!