Evocati

Brass Drilled Solid Rivet

Does anyone know what a "Solid Drilled Brass Rivet" is?  I've been looking all day and have been, thus far, unable to locate a single reference to it outside of this one guys leather shop (I've been looking for hours now).  He lists the specs for his dog collar as such:

♦ Highly water and stretch resistant
♦ Stainless Steel hardware
Solid drilled brass rivets for durability
♦ 9 size adjustment holes in 1/2 inch increments

Additionally, I've included the front and backside of the rivets for ID.  They look kind of like double caps, but there's no way a double cap would flatten to that thickness.  My guess is that they're actually called something else as I've seen these elsewhere before.

leather-dog-collar-pet-harness_075_0041_Cropped.jpg

leather-dog-collar-pet-harness_075_0039_croped.jpg

Tubular rivets with a cap on the backside.  Not near as strong as sewing.  Poor way of dog collar.

"Solid drilled brass rivet" sounds like a term the vendor made up, never heard of any such thing.

14 minutes ago, 480volt said:

"Solid drilled brass rivet" sounds like a term the vendor made up, never heard of any such thing.

That is EXACTLY what I thought when I heard it.  I didn't want to just claim he made up the name to heighten his product but at the same time, if the shoe fits... 

Thanks for getting back to me on this!  I felt like I was going crazy even though I figured it was a nonsense name.

I managed to find someone that sold those in 100 count bags with the caps, so yay for that!  I found the listing on Ohio Travel bag, but there was some uncertainty to what I saw.  Either way, I have some to compare to... :-)

Does anyone have a suggestion on a set of dies for these?  It looks like the dies that would be best are the ones for the Jiffy caps, but those are a bit domed and I'd prefer not to dome my nice flat rivets.  I figure that my arbor press would be just fine, but that seems extreme for what we're doing.  

20170703_134118.jpg

20170703_134131.jpg

Check "Aircraft rivets" they come in all kind of shapes. well they can be made in all kind of shapes with the right "Buck" (The back plate..

POSTER_Rivets.jpg

Edited by patineto

7 hours ago, Brianm77 said:

Any reason not to use aluminum in leather?

Tandy has some aluminum rivets like the brass and copper ones. I'm still not sure of the name but these.....KIMG0680-1170x2080.JPG

7 hours ago, Brianm77 said:

Any reason not to use aluminum in leather?

If its anodised it should be ok but raw aluminium quickly corrodes blue in leather giving a blue black stain which leeches outwards from the fixing point