Billy Hell

Dotted Line Stamp

A friend is a pilot and is a member of the US Unlimted Aerobatics flight team. I'm going to make 3 wallets with an arresti diagram on them. 
I have numbers and letter stamps but the arresti has many dotted lines. To get those perfect I thought I might find a stamp. 
I have Tandy space tool embosser for stitch marks. (https://www.amazon.com/Tandy-8091-00-Craftool-Spacer-Embossing/dp/B0038HWMB2) Do you think that would leave an indentation that would last? 
Is there a stamp set that does dotted lines? 
Here is what an arresti looks like...
Arestisequence.png

You have the image, have someone burn it on with a laser.  It will look perfect when it is done, the build the wallet around the image.

Sez it'll do 1.5"x1.5", perfect for a wallet! And it's practically free. Relatively speaking, what I mean is I was shocked it's less than 150 bucks. I'm trying to think of why I need one now.

Lasers are everyplace now.  If someone wants much over $25 for that look around more.  It will take a few minutes to import, about one minute to burn.  Easy to do all three in a half hour or so.

If they are not familiar with leather:  Have the surface very slightly damp.  Do a test run on scrap to get the intensity proper.  If done right it will be as crisp as if you drew it on with a pen, but will last a long time.

I want to buy one now, that size seems pretty small to me. 

That one is very small and low intensity.  Remember the first LED light bulbs that saves tons of energy but didn't make much light?  Lasers are like that.  Bigger and more power unless you just want a toy.

Try this:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/40W-CO2-Laser-Engraving-Cutting-Machine-Engraver-Cutter-USB-Port-High-Precise-/142243645892?hash=item211e61c9c4:g:oBIAAOSwZQRYekgJ

40 times more power 

Wow, 3.5 square, mo betta! Now I'm seriously thinking about one.

I can see where 40w is better than 1500mw. How much do u suppose is needed to etch leather?

2 minutes ago, alpha2 said:

Wow, 3.5 square, mo betta! Now I'm seriously thinking about one.

Wallets are way bigger than 3.5".  And 1.5 watts is barely going to draw a line.  Need more power.

I think I'm back to tooling this leather. Any thoughts on a dotted line stamp?

Good to know. 

26 minutes ago, Billy Hell said:

Use a lacing chisel.

That was my second thought and I have a bunch. Thanks! I will be looking into a laser now too. Thanks for the quick reply. 

A laser is on my short list too.  The only reason I have not bought one yet is I have access to one that I can use when I need to cut something.  My main use is to cut patterns out of plastic.

2 hours ago, Billy Hell said:

Get a couple of cheap thonging/lacing chisels and grind of the 'sharp' edge. A 4 pronger for the straight runs, a 2 or 1 prong for the curves. Or just get an old straight blade screwdriver, grind it down a bit to make it wider if necessary and do the dashes individually

50 minutes ago, electrathon said:

A laser is on my short list too.  The only reason I have not bought one yet is I have access to one that I can use when I need to cut something.  My main use is to cut patterns out of plastic.

What kind of wattage is needed to cut thin plastic? Thinking of templates for wallet parts.

14 minutes ago, alpha2 said:

What kind of wattage is needed to cut thin plastic? Thinking of templates for wallet parts.

Maybe someone else will speak up here but the 1 watt one listed earlier will barely draw a line.  The 40 watt one I put the link to should do most thinner stuff no problem.  I believe the one I use at the school is 50 watts, it will cut plastic up to about 3/8" but by then it is deflecting and no longer cutting straight.  I am very much a beginner on much of the laser stuff, so don't quote me on it. 

Well, 3/8" is way more than I would need, thanks for your expertise!!

Edited by alpha2

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 7:15 PM, electrathon said:

Maybe someone else will speak up here but the 1 watt one listed earlier will barely draw a line.  The 40 watt one I put the link to should do most thinner stuff no problem.  I believe the one I use at the school is 50 watts, it will cut plastic up to about 3/8" but by then it is deflecting and no longer cutting straight.  I am very much a beginner on much of the laser stuff, so don't quote me on it. 

How about a new thread to help all of us interested? Please?

On 6/16/2017 at 2:56 PM, Billy Hell said:

Not sure how this might work for you since each dash would have to be individually struck but thought the link might be useful.

Good luck

rick

https://www.pjtooljewelry.com/new/dot-dash-stamp-pack.html

I started this new thread...

I talked myself out of the laser and purchased some number and letter stamps. I utilized my ceramic blade for a nice line and came out with these...

19732042_10213651679871759_6384324257032185754_n.jpg.6512a78ed5616157f2103a7b18edd8f8.jpg

19875221_10213651682111815_2720196167858940330_n.jpg

19756372_10213651681391797_6155057140831535564_n.jpg

That is amazing. Talk about a one-of-a-kind project!