I figured I had to try one eventually, and my trophy wife indicated a desire for something small, cross-body, lightweight, that would carry her Ruger LCP, 3 cards, a bit of cash, and keys. Oh, and an i-Phone. Mission accomplished. It took a bit of design, re-design, re-re-design, to make it small and lightweight. In the picture, the front flap looks huge, it's actually the same width as the back of the bag. I'm thinking of tapering it after it makes the top bend. The additional sleeve is very thin, and will carry the cards and cash either in the bag itself, or in the rear pocket. The outer bag stitching got a little erratic on the back side. 

I didn't particularly like doing the corners on the gusset. I did this type of construction so I could try an inner and an outer join of the gusset to the bag. Basically taught myself as I went along. I did do a small practice corner for the front overlap corner. Good thing, it was a challenge.

jbag3.jpg

jbag2.jpg

jbag1.jpg

jbag4.jpg

Okay, I took another picture of the bag, from an angle. It doesn't look at all like the picture above where the flap looks huge, it's actually not bad in person. The flap stays. The boss sez she likes it that way. 

jbag5.jpg

Edited by alpha2

Beautiful: very nice, good design, well done!! Love the color

Thank you!

The color on my computer is a pretty good representation of the actual color. You never know what a color will look like on a different monitor. When we painted the living room, my wife tried to use the online color selector from the paint company. I showed her what it look like on two different monitors, she decided to do it with the actual paint at the store!

Looks good. 

Looks very nice!  Is that LCP holster sewn into the bag or does it come out?  What weight / type of leather did you use?

It's not sewn in. It's a Hunter Holsters pocket holster. She uses it in her purses because it's flat on the sides and bottom of the back "no-print" piece, so it rides grip-up. 

The leather is 3.5oz, some kind of finished side from the Tandy sale table. It could use something slightly more stiff, but she wanted it really light. And...I had it on hand.

Oh, and I bought these holsters before I got into leatherwork. It's not like I couldn't make these myself now! Least amount of stitching on any holster I've seen. 

smallhunter.jpg

Edited by alpha2

It all looks wonderful.

Thanks, Matt! "That's what she said". No, really, she did say that. Then she said, "ya know, if it was a little bigger, I could put my glasses in there, and my sunglasses, and my checkbook, and..." 

Like we didn't know THAT would happen, right?

Yeah, my wife destroys mere mortal purses. I may have to build her one.

If I start within the month, maybe I can be finished by Christmas.

Good job! 

Good job! I have been kicking around the idea of making a conceal carry purse for my wife. My problem is that she wants to be able to carry the kitchen sink in her purse. It will take a couple of full hides and miles of thread to build a bag big enough for her - then she will complain about the weight.

Real nice bag. The stitching color really sets it off. Good job!

Thank you!

The Boss picked the stitching color. I've since completed the edge finish, she liked that too.

Very neat looking bag! Great Job!

Beautiful job.

My concern though would be that when she opens the purse the pistol is visible.