Dan Miller

What are these/where to get - Armitage messenger bag closure

See below starting at 16:38 - any help identifying the two bits of flap closure hardware and where to purchase will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Dan

try Tandy Leather.. they should have a lot of leather hardware to choose from

Yes, have tried Tandy, Buckleguy, Ohio Bag, Springfield, etc...

Saw some grommets mainly on Etsy sites.  I know of no sources where you can find the strap loop and grommet combo. If they exist, I'd like to know where.

Tandy has strap loops but limited to the 5/8" and 3/4".  I know I bought 1" strap loops from Tandy but they must be discontinued.

image.png

I would be surprised if Ohio Travel Bag did not have these.

Bill

Thanks, Tugadude, you've given me some leads, albeit all in chrome. I'd like antique brass/bronze or nickel matte.

Billybopp, yes I was was surprised, they don't, as far as I can tell.

Maybe reach out to OTB and see if they have sources.  Maybe they will do a "one off".

image.png

Ohio Travel Bag has 1 inch strap loop in gold.  You can find it by searching for strap loop.  It is not antique but you could have it antiqued, if you don't find another source.

I too have spent a considerable amount of time looking for these in brass and they just aren't out there in mass production.  The ones I've seen in brass are more of whats called a "Footman Loop" that is attached with 2 rivets but all of the ones that are mass produced don't have a tall enough opening to work. 

1 hour ago, johnv474 said:

Ohio Travel Bag has 1 inch strap loop in gold.  You can find it by searching for strap loop.  It is not antique but you could have it antiqued, if you don't find another source.

John, do they have a matching grommet?

I did ask Nigel, and he suggested these links. Note that the grommet linked does not fit the loop.

https://ohiotravelbag.com/products/item/1ef8241d-2d39-4f67-89d8-e93e074d3cad/P-2742-NIC

https://ohiotravelbag.com/products/item/06764edb-7899-49ba-8685-0d56c528eb78/1in+Screw+Together+Eyelet+Nickel

Lots of good suggestions in this thread (Thanks everyone!). Still, not finding anything that grabs me.

Dan

Why do you say the grommet does not fit the loop?  Do you know the actual width outside to outside of the strap loop?  I would ask OTB if the two fit together.

39 minutes ago, Tugadude said:

Why do you say the grommet does not fit the loop?  Do you know the actual width outside to outside of the strap loop?  I would ask OTB if the two fit together.

I don't for sure, but if the loop is to fit a 1" strap, it stands to reason that the outside measurement of the loop has to be more than 1"

Good point though, and an email to OTB has been sent.

Dan

Edited by Dan Miller

Let us know what the result is please!  A lot of folks want to use this type of closure and as you have found out, it ain't easy!

Just curious but did you check out Sail brite  fro this type of snap, I might be wrong but my recollection is telling me that they might have what yer  for.