MY63

Brass letter stamps

Like many others I have seen videos by Ian and Nigel about high quality professional stamps made from brass.

I was wondering if anyone here has experience of the lower cost options from a forum sponsor or the various other ones available from the internet.

Ideally I would like to start with a smaller set and expand this in the future if required. I have an arbour press and plan to use it hot and cold.

Thanks

Michael

Not letter stamps, but I've had stamps of line-art cut in brass by a few sellers in China/Taiwan/Malaysia

Cost from £14 for a 2cm stamp. Cutting is perfect to the line-art, even very fine lines have been reproduced. Takes about 9 -10 days from ordering & paying till the stamp drops through the letterbox. Tried 3 different sellers/cutters, just see if there was difference in quality or speed of delivery - not a sausage betwixt any of them

Never a problem. I'll be ordering more soon

Thanks fredk

Any chance you could supply web sites.

Thanks

Michael

I think the hexnhit sets are worth saving up for. Yes, they are expensive. But once you have them, easy lettering for the rest of your days.

I think they are worth the money.

18 hours ago, timesofplenty said:

You might look into photoengravers near you, should  be able to make "deep etch" stamps for leather. 

Thanks I cant find any photoengravers in the UK I wonder if it is called something different in the UK.

16 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

I think the hexnhit sets are worth saving up for. Yes, they are expensive. But once you have them, easy lettering for the rest of your days.

I think they are worth the money.

I am sure they are good quality if I was a professional leatherworker I would definitely invest in a starter set. I was hoping that there may be someone here who had used one of the cheaper sets.

I guess I need to think about investing in the Hexnhit set.

Thanks

Michael 

For letters I just use the Tandy sets. I have several sets in different fonts. Some need to be searched out as old stock in dealers as Tandy seem to regularly discontinue fonts. For 3mm size letters I have a set meant for stamping code numbers for vehicle VIN

Photo engraving is better known here as photo etching. Le Prevo offers a photo engraving service to make stamps in magnesium. Costs £2.54 per square inch, £50.40 minimum charge [both prices plus delivery and VAT on it all] I got some large designs done by them. Not overly happy with them. The photoengraving 'cuts' at an angle outwards from the original artwork line so that the image when stamped doesn't have a really sharp outline, unlike CNC cut brass stamps

I looked for photoengraving/etching in the UK as well, most who does this only does electronic circuit boards; some who offered 'photo etching of anything' wouldn't even consider doing it to make anything but, some didn't bother answering my enquiry

Thanks Fedk I struggle with the Tandy letter sets I like the idea of the stamps fitting into a holder this would make things much easier for me.

Le Prevo is my local supplier I have seen the sample plates in store and understand what you mean.

After reading some old threads I have approached an ebay seller of printing type sets he is looking for a set that will work with leather.

Those brass sets look really good I don't need a box as I am happy to make my own.  

Greetings,

You may or may not find this interesting:

http://leatherbigbookcovers.com/training/Tutorial--Typography in Leather Article.pdf

Bob Stelmack

5 hours ago, stelmackr said:

Greetings,

http://leatherbigbookcovers.com/training/Tutorial--Typography in Leather Article.pdf

Bob Stelmack

Hi Bob

Many thanks for the link lots of useful information. I have seen some on an auction site 24 point size which is around 8.5 mm for a capital letter but I am not sure.

Thanks again

Michael

Is it keeping the Tandy letters in alignment that is a problem for you?

They sell a frame to help with that, or as I did, made one for myself from perspex and small bolts

As I said I have several Tandy letter sets, from 1/4 inch to 3/4 inch in size. I could never afford to buy each letter made individually in brass. And the frame works with them all

Or is the problem getting a good impression? I've just invested in a press and the Tandy letter set adapters - world of a difference to whacking with a mallet

10 hours ago, fredk said:

Is it keeping the Tandy letters in alignment that is a problem for you?

They sell a frame to help with that, or as I did, made one for myself from perspex and small bolts

As I said I have several Tandy letter sets, from 1/4 inch to 3/4 inch in size. I could never afford to buy each letter made individually in brass. And the frame works with them all

Or is the problem getting a good impression? I've just invested in a press and the Tandy letter set adapters - world of a difference to whacking with a mallet

It is a bit of both really I have also made a frame for my letter set however the edges are not very well finished and I find it difficult to get even impressions repeating initials is also difficult my sons initials are JJY. As I am sure you have found this is tricky I use a different letter for the second J then swap them to keep the spacing correct.

There is a set on ebay for a reasonable price which I think will give the look that I want.

I have also invested in an arbour press from Axminster tools I am going to adapt it to take pricking irons and some stamps.

I do have some restriction in the movement in my right hand so I can only work for limited periods. I have just had some custom edge slickers made that are 28 mm in diameter so I can hold them.

yes, the edges on the Tandy letter blocks aren't finished off too well. I file off the roughness with a coarse metal file. The press will make a real difference though

On 6/25/2017 at 8:13 AM, stelmackr said:

Greetings,

Bob Stelmack

Corrected link to article.

Had some issues with internet.  That article on Tutorial--Typography in Leather  has been moved to:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qgV6aH_FkHa5lBX_kNceroW2elQju_XW/view