Hello, I am posting on here for some advice and help. I am very new to working with leather and am hoping to be able to fix this old saddle and get it back to functional light use. I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations for replacing the fender and what kind of leather to use. I've seen the new replacement fenders that you can buy already cut and ready, but I'm not sure if maybe that is the best route to go? I would like to get it looking as close to the other fender, if possible, but it is not completely necessary. I have not tooled before and am uncertain that I would be able to match the tooling pattern. Anyway, I was hoping to use it as a project learning opportunity. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you! 

IMG_0220.JPG

IMG_0218.JPG

Edited by charliehorse08

If it were me I'd use 11/13 oz skirting leather. If you bought a full side you'd have plenty of leather to replace both stirrup leathers and both fenders. You could also buy pre-cut leathers and fenders if you didn't feel up to cutting them. I wouldn't replace just the one side and I wouldn't reuse the stirrup leather on the side you did replace. I'm not sure that you couldn't replace the saddle for the amount of money you'll put into repairing what you have, but if it's an exercise in learning there wouldn't be a point in that. 

If you make your own, ensure that once you rivet the bottom of the leather and fender together at whatever buckle you use that you fold them where they will go over stirrup itself before you rivet the top of the fender to the leathers. If you make them flat then the fender will be too tight when it goes around the stirrup. 

Good luck with your project. 

Josh

I never use less than 13/15 for fenders or stirrup leathers.  I build for working cowboys but any lighter will not hold their shape with very much use.    I cut my stirrup leathers on the back side by side.  I cut my fenders out of the butt top to bottom on the hide but back to front on the rear end of will work also.  I just prefer top to bottom.  But that is just my 2 cents worth.  HTH.   Ken

Edited by Ken Nelson

Charlie,

First buy a saddle making book for direction: Stohlman's Encyclopedia of Saddle making or Harry Adam's book to name a couple.  These books will give you all the information needed to make repairs.  Second,  determine if this saddle is worth repairing.  What is the skirting condition, is the rigging safe and does it fit your horse, how will this saddle be used (pleasure riding, kids, roping, mountain trails, etc.), and who was the maker of the saddle?  These are some considerations you need to determine.  Looking at your photos, tell me that this is not an expensive saddle and the materials in the saddle look dry and worn.  The rigging looks like it may need some attention.  Also, the stirrup leathers appear to be about 2" in width, and double tongued buckles are used for adjustments.  Anyway, I am always, first, concerned about saddle safety for the horse and rider, and then what needs to be repaired.  The repairs you mentioned would cost, if performed by a technician, any where from $150 to $200.  If you tried to repair it, expect to spend $300 plus for materials, tools, and instructional materials.  I'm not trying to dissuade you from trying and learning, but giving you more information to determine the direction in which you may want to go. 

Ron

Thank you all for the advice!!! The saddle belongs to a friend of mine, who is wanting the repair and would pay for the cost and afford me the opportunity to learn. I do not have the saddle in my possession yet, she sent me the above photos. I wanted to post on here for some direction before I gave her a response. Thank you for the advice, I was able to further research cost of materials and complexity after reading your comments and figure out what I might feel more confident with. I came up with a couple of different options to choose from. I don't know who makes the saddle, but I suspect you could replace the whole thing for a few hundred bucks more than repairs. I think it is just a pleasure saddle for light trail riding for a small lady.

Thank you for the advice on cutting and assembly! I am not sure yet if I will get pre-cut or cut myself, depends on what she wants to spend. I have a collection of tools and think I have everything to get the job done except for the rivets and buckles. I will add the books you suggest to my collection! It is great to get advice on books. If I am ordering online sometimes I find it hard to pick a book and feel confident that it will have the information I am seeking since they are usually quite an investment. 

I am nervous about doing repairs for the first time on someone else item. But I feel a little bit better with the advice and being able to research further. Thank you all again! 

Brie 

If you buy one book make it the Stohlman book.  A wealth of easy of follow instructions and explanations.  Great hand-drawn illustrations.  His way of making some saddle parts is unique, based on my novice experience and comments from others here, but many processes are pretty conventional (like making stirrup leathers and fenders). --John