fredk

Cutting costs the UK way

On 27/06/2017 at 8:58 PM, LumpenDoodle2 said:

Valerie Singleton every time, with Tom Baker (then David Tennant, Matt Smith, and Peter Capaldi in second joint second place).

Now Tom Baker was good, but Jon Pertwee beats him every time!

No kitchen making places round my way use real granite or marble. They use very thick chipboard with a plastic surface which looks like granite or marble

We export tons of high quality granite and import low quality granite from India when its needed

I can't decide on the best Doctor; I watched from Harkness to Davison or Colin Baker. Haven't seen much after that. I liked Pertwee, had an affinity with Tom Baker as I like jelly babies and we had to wear a very long scarf at college - compulsory to wear during winter, it had to be worn a certain way too.

Thanks for the tip on the lolly sticks. I've been looking for something to use for stitching belt keepers. 

Tom Baker, for sure. Probably because we don't get all the Brit shows here, and then they're already old. Tom Baker was the one we started with, so, all the others are impostors!

I was trying to figure out why in the world anyone would name a store "Poundstore", it finally dawned on me that it would what we here call the "Dollar Store". Duh.

Still  not sure what "brill" means, something to do with either cost or value, I figure. We had a good friend here, (passed away unfortunately), that was our go to guy for Brit expressions. In the "she's a witch!" bit, we couldn't figure out what the witch said when they finally determined she was, in fact, a witch. Our friend told us it was "it's a fair cop". Well, sure, once you KNEW that, you could hear it. We had the sound turned up and listened very carefully numerous times, but were never able to figure it out on our own. 

Brill = short for brilliant = an expression of approval for just about anything,  eg; brill idea = a good/clever idea

Yeah, we use real money here British Pounds £ ;  none of your monopoly play money or Early Learning Centre play Euros

Brill, I don't know why I couldn't figure that out. I guess it was the context. Used to love the show "Brilliant!" Didn't stay long enough for me. Bob Fleming was my wife's favorite bit. She's weird that way. I'll get me coat.

Another bit we needed some input on was "are you married?" Our friend straightened us out on that one as well. Started using it all the time for a while. We'd laugh, but nobody knew what we were on about. Inside joke around these parts!

Jeff

You want English that others won't understand.. look up Jabberwocky..
brill :)

It's kind of silly that when people ask if English is my native language, I have to say "no, 'murican". Still, better than trying to understand a Scot. Eh?

This'll do until Lumpendoodle2 gets around to you.

grumpyoldman.jpg

Just started a few weeks ago and looking for cheap leather to practice on

Emailed about 10 local upholstery companies found on Google and asked if I could buy some scrap off-cuts

One emailed back the next day to say come down and get some free, Went down and had a big bag of their car upholstery offcuts (chrome) smallest piece about A3 size largest bigger than AO, just two bits was enough to make a tote bag. Told I could get as much as I wanted but if very large bits off rolls then they would have to charge but same again no problem as they just send it to a dump

On 04/12/2017 at 2:05 AM, mikesc said:

This'll do until Lumpendoodle2 gets around to you.

grumpyoldman.jpg

Dinnie fecht me wi yer clatter, ye ding ma lugs wi yer wurds.

The latter part of that sentence was believed to be spoken by a wonderful Edinburgh woman (Jenny Geddes) when a ‘certain English King tried to introduce a different form of religion’ into Scotland.   The sentence was followed by the throwing of a stool at the reverend gentleman’s head.

Ahh....   those were the days.........   When the folk if Edinburgh had spirit.   Today, you would be deafened by the mass ‘tut’.

Edited by LumpenDoodle2

Time to add something

Whilst browsing ebay I came across these: 20 stamping tools for under £9. Quality? I'll know when I get my set. As the Tandy tools are made in Taiwan same as these are I see no big problem.  I reckon they are cheap enough for a beginner to use to try out the art of stamping or in my case to take a grinder in my mini-drill to reshape some of them

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20pcs-Carving-Working-Saddle-Making-Tools-Leather-Craft-Tools/273593838549

Whilst browsing ebay I came across these: 20 stamping tools for under £9. Quality? I'll know when I get my set. As the Tandy tools are made in Taiwan same as these are I see no big problem. I reckon they are cheap enough for a beginner to use to try out the art of stamping or in my case to take a grinder in my mini-drill to reshape some of them

Umm , Fred..Hong Kong ( the ebay ad that you linked to says they are made there ) isn't in Taiwan..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20pcs-Carving-Working-Saddle-Making-Tools-Leather-Craft-Tools/273593838549
I hope you wont be disappointed. China ( PRC ) does make some very good stuff, but rarely is it very very cheap..

I find "interesting" that Ebay allows the seller to say that the goods are in Ireland

From the ebay ad..
Item location:
Ireland, Ireland

But his address is in Kowloon Bay Hong Kong, which when you look at the shipping times..appears to be where the items being sold, are truly located.

We all get caught out..I am currently waiting for a set of three edge guide feet for my Singer 211 to arrive ..supposedly in stock in California and supposedly being shipped from same..ordered 29th May 2019 ..being shipped by China post ;) , estimated delivery between 06.06.2019 and 26.06.2019..I'm betting that when / if, they arrive, they will have been shipped from PRC or Hong Kong..
At least with Tao Bao or Alibaba, you know the real sender's location "up front"..

Edited by mikesc

2 hours ago, mikesc said:

Umm , Fred..Hong Kong ( the ebay ad that you linked to says they are made there ) isn't in Taiwan..

I hope you wont be disappointed. China ( PRC ) does make some very good stuff, but rarely is it very very cheap..

yeah, I noticed that after but cudnae edit my post. Have had stuff from both places, its fine

2 hours ago, mikesc said:

I find "interesting" that Ebay allows the seller to say that the goods are in Ireland

From the ebay ad..
Item location:
Ireland, Ireland

But his address is in Kowloon Bay Hong Kong, which when you look at the shipping times..appears to be where the items being sold, are truly located.

Its ok, these Chinese bods have warehouses in Eire and UK now. Same-ish situ, bought some oval hole punches last week. Sent from warehouse in London, 3 day delivery. We will see when I get these, thats the pudding

You are lucky, again :) ..I'm certain that my machine feet are taking "the scenic route" from China via "wherever" to get here..20 days and counting :(

Not always so lucky. I'm now waiting 54 days for thirty special Chicago screws I want to use on a project. Estimated last delivery date, June 24th