Well I finally tried a Mexican loop. It's a mock up just to see what I should do for the next one. I know I will cut the slots for loops narrower. I cut them 1/4"  my opinion (which isn't much) is that's too much. Next one I'll probably cut them 3/16" or maybe an 1/8". And I may have cut them about an 1/8" too long. I'm still having trouble with dyeing. This fiebings medium brown and it looks mighty dark to me for that color. :dunno: Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Oh and there's no hammer thong on it yet  holes are punched but I'm out of lace  

image.jpeg

Edited by Clintock

At least you made one, I'm still working on the pattern for mine! I once bought a large bottle of the Medium Brown and yes, it seems awfully dark for a Medium colour! I tried thinning it down but it didn't make it much lighter. It also has a reddish tint which I'm not too keen on. I finally tried their Walnut stain which is actually brown!! Very nice.

A couple of things with the holster (things that I've picked up on by looking at lots and lots of photos). Next to the trigger guard you've made it quite sharp and pointy, it will look better if you round that corner off.You've got a swelling of the holster along the stitch line and the idea behind that is to have the swelling between the two loop straps so that it "locks" the holster in place. It's not necessary to actually cut slots to make the loops. I made a cardboard mockup and tried it with just cuts, not slots, and it works fine.

Look up the "Cheyenne"-style holster, as made by Frank Meanea. It is a good starting point and the shape can be refined from there. It's not that hard to make a Mexican Loop holster, but the trick, as far as I'm concerned, is to make it aesthetically pleasing (it's got to look right! And purty, too).

Appreciate the feedback. Still looking for a brown that's not too dark but just right. Don't think the make it. I'm fine with a little reddish tint but when I want brown I want brown not red. 

I can agree on the corner. Looked kinda sharp to me too. The loops were cut to kinda be even if that makes sense. So as one loop wouldn't be towards the top and one toward the bottom. Wouldn't a tie down hold the holster in the skirt? 

I haven't seen the Cheyenne you're talking about but will definitely go look it when I hit the submit here. 

Im assuming it's aesthetically pleasing. Posted a pic on that book of faces and have 3 orders for the exact thing. 

I appreciate the feedback and critique. 

The Fiebings "brown" has always had a 'reddish' tint.  In the old days, we used to add a few drops of green (neutralize the red), but gotta sneak up on it - that green is strong stuff.  So you ended up with brown.. and 3.899 oz of green you didn't know where to put :rofl:

Nowadays.. go wth the chocolate or walnut ...

Nice job!  I think it would look even better if you tapered the bottom of the holster a bit so it is not so wide at the bottom - just my opinion, no right or wrong way!

1 minute ago, garypl said:

tapered the bottom of the holster a bit so it is not so wide at the bottom

Especially on the stitch side! Appreciate it. 

I meant the back loop section - so it looks less square at the bottom.  You could also taper the holster pouch as well - that would make it look slimmer for sure!

30 minutes ago, garypl said:

back loop section

Yep. On the skirt. Just saying the stitch side would look better if it was contoured with the holster a little better. 

If you've already got orders then you're obviously doing something right! As Gary said, there's no "right" or "wrong" way, it just depends what you're/we're trying to achieve. I should have clarified and said that I'm looking at it from the viewpoint of trying to get the shape as close as I can to an original style (allowing for some slight variation to suit my needs). When you start looking at old photos there's a huge variation in how they're made.

Thanks for putting up the photo, it let me see what it's like with slots cut, rather than just slits. I'm hoping with all my cardboard templates that I can get it right first time and not have to modify it, but until it's actually made you just don't know quite how it's going to look!

By the way, Fiebing's Moccasin Brown is quite nice, might be a bit too dark for what you're looking for but seems to have a little less red in it.

"It's not necessary to actually cut slots to make the loops. I made a cardboard mockup and tried it with just cuts, not slots, and it works fine."

The problem with the cuts is that it works until the holster is hung up on something. The sharp cuts will then tear straight across the skirt from where the cut stops. The slots are rounded where they stop and add extra strength to this area. Learn this first hand from building horse tack.

Bobby

@dikman go to heritage firearms and check out some of their holsters. I definitely wouldn't pay that much for an unfinished product but back to the main of it. They have Mexican loop with just slits cut. It'll give you an idea of how it will look. IMHO it doesn't look very good. Can't finish the edge through and through with just a slit. I can respect wanting the look to match the time period. 

Defintiely will check out the moccasin brown. I like dark brown goods. Hides a lot of detail in finished product but.. 

Youre right about never know how it's gonna look till you put it together. Cardboard doesn't bend like leather nor stretch like leather. Design looked pretty good on poster board but it changed once put together with leather. Look forward to seeing what design you have. 

Bobby, I take your point re- the slits and can see what you mean. In my case it won't matter because it can only be used at the range so little chance of it catching on something. I had, however, already thought of that potential issue and am considering punching small holes at the ends of the slits which hopefully should help relieve stresses at that point.

Clintock, I had a look at the site. I'm assuming that their holsters are mass-produced to provide a relatively inexpensive product, and as such might suit some people who just want a basic holster, but they look "clunky" to me. The three-loop, in particular, just look wrong, the straps are too thick and too close together and in places are a sloppy fit. But then I'm known to be picky! As for the edges of the slits, one site I came across said to insert a steel ruler (or similar) into the slit to lift the strap up which will allow access to the edge. It should be possible to finish the edges, but may require a bit of "creative thinking" to do so. Guess I'll find out, and if it doesn't work then I'll simply turn the slits into slots! My template just needs a bit of minor tweaking, but I've learned not to rush and to give it plenty of thought to try and figure out what I've missed....

Edited by dikman

I've just re-read Jim Simmons (sticky) tutorial, and he uses a slot, rather than a slit, to make the loops. Looks like I may have the wrong idea about how it's done, so shall defer to more experienced makers. I will, however, make the slots fairly narrow, I think, in the interests of aesthetics.

@dikman let me know how the finished product turns out. I think I cut the slots a 1/4". Next one I make will have a liner and will not be Mexican loop if I can help it. I like the loop with a Chicago screw holding to the skirt with the  leg tie holding the holster to the skirt. Makes for a flatter skirt. But really anything to do leather, wood, brick, etc is all personal preferences. Some may like something that looks completely shotty calling it a masterpiece. Picasso for example. Not saying he couldn't paint, just not my cup o tea

:lol: Yeah, Picasso doesn't do much for me, I much prefer a nice landscape myself.

The loop, using screws or snap studs, is certainly easier as you don't have to worry about stuffing the holster down through those loops, and visually it has a flatter, smoother profile. Or you can make it as a strap with a buckle on front, which looks quite nice. But I'm determined to make a Mexican loop, in part so that I can say I've made one. It will take a while, as I have a couple of tons of firewood to sort and stack and need to make a pair of leather suspenders first for my new Cowboy pants :).

Nice go at it.

My comments would be agreeing that the swell on the main seam be in-between the loops to lock in as with the original Cheyenne design  and when I do slits/cuts I will use a small round pouch at the end to solve the problem described with slits/cuts and not need to do slots. I like the clean look with no beading on the edges but can always go either way on that as long as all edges are treated the same. I think the colour is interesting.

Congratulations on the orders!!

Appreciate it. The more I look at it the more I don't like it. I reckon the "ruffled" edges and skirt are the two main things. I see the validity of the loops being in the wrong spot. May just change those for the ones going out. And I'll prolly sew a stop on the main belt loop to help keep the holster from riding up. 

Tge color may be coming from cheaper leather. Not too impressed with it. Won't call the supplier out but he's in new york

I used British Tan on the second holster I made, it came out redder than yours!

Once I bought a Cheyenne style Tandy kit. I hated the large lacing holes and the wide slits on the skirt. I only used the kit as a pattern and as such it is not bad at all. The skirt has the shape of an oval and the typical "Cheyenne-hump" sits between the loops. Both might improve the looks of your holster which, by the way, is nicely done.

I just searched the Tandy website for said kit but they don't seem to sell it anymore.

One more thing: I'd also move up the "Cheyenne-hump" a bit. 

Edited by LederRudi

Appreciate the feedback. The 3 that went out was changed completely. Wasn't even the Mexican loop style so now I have a chance to try again with my pistol. Think I know the style you're talking about. Seen it on tales of Wells Fargo on the western channel yesterday. (Noticed I pay closer attention to those now). If you have a picture of the holster you mentioned I'd love to see it. 

13 hours ago, Clintock said:

(Noticed I pay closer attention to those now).

Funnily enough, I've found I'm doing the same thing, always studying holsters and belts.

21 hours ago, Clintock said:

If you have a picture of the holster you mentioned I'd love to see it. 

I've given away a finished holster of the type in question without taking pictures. However I found an example surfing the web:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/263101865/cheyenne-double-loop-holster-55

It seems that the maker used the Tandy-pattern. As I said: I like the oval roundness of the skirt and of the loops, but that's subject to personal preference of course.

template02.jpg

template01.jpg