James K

has anyone ever made wallets from upholstery scrap?

hello everyone,

I have a random assortment of black upholstery scrap pieces I purchased from Tandy and am wondering if anyone has ever made a wallet from any of this type of leather? I think it is chrome tanned. Frankly, I am not very impressed with it but don't want to waste it. Thanks in advance for you replies.

I used couch leather I skinned to line the inside layer of this bifold. It's wrapped around rfid blocking paper. But I had to find other leathers for outside and pockets.

I would suggest do some edge tests. I was not happy with my edges on this but without a better plan just had to keep going

img20170424165641390.jpg&key=dcfe6be8297

Never used it for main pieces but have shaved some of it down to use for linings and the like where thinner was better.  It is chrome tanned and has also been highly altered to get that "pristine" look that furniture leather has.  Don't really have much use for it otherwise so I just stay clear of it altogether.

not wallets; but I've made medium sized messenger type bags, hats, coin purses, an apron, slip-on book covers, even a tabard from upholstery leather.

I have about 50Kgs [maybe a lot more than that] which I acquired very cheaply, lots of uses for it

Can I hand stich this stuff if I punch it with my stitching chisel from Tandy?

Also, I have some ostrich scrap I also bought? Any opinoins as to laminating that to this upholstery leather and making something useful from it?

A. my upholstery leather is soft and is about 1mm thick, 1.5mm maximum. I handsew it all the time just using a glovers needle. Thread is 0.5mm or lighter. Only when I double it up do I use a chisel or punch first

B. On some bags I've glued the upholstery leather, two pieces flesh side to flesh side, sandwiching a bit of compressed cardboard in between for ridgity. No problem doubling it with whatever you choose to do with it.